Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
doing some mining on a mid tower, I have one of those large freezers in my basement that opens like a cooler, have tons of room... what are the issues with throwing the computer in the freezer? I assume condensation is an issue?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Don't do it!
You'll have condensation and the freezer will die. Also it's ******ed w.r.t. your electricity bill.

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (5) Plus mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Putting aside all of the electrical challenges and hazards, more money will be spent on cooling than you can generate with mining. You will be at a loss.
If you have a thermal pump that's used for heating up water you might as well place the rig near it.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
The computer would be heating up the freezer quicker than the freezer can keep things cool. It's a great idea in theory, but freezers aren't designed to actively cool. You would be better off having the setup in a naturally cool space, like a basement, or near an air vent that could provide cooler air. Otherwise your best bet is trying to simply lower ambient temperatures.

·
Banned
3,726 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, I had a feeling it was an all around bad idea. I have the computer in the basement, sitting in the same general area as the freezer... just a natural progression to consider putting the two together :)

The computer itself really isn't heating, I had a ton of GPU liquid cooling stuff left over from previous builds so the cards only run in the 50's, but it does tend to noticeably heat the room up a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts