Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening Internet!

So I have a potential problem.. one I hope is easily managed with your expertise. I'll give you the whole story as best I can just in case any of it is relevant.

Recently my original XSPC pump/res failed. It was one of these; http://www.xs-pc.com/water-pumps/x2o-750-dual-bayrespump-black-v4

I have no idea why it failed.. but the motor had very clearly burnt out. The system was on at the time and the only reason I noticed there was an issue was when the computer shut down and restarted. It was unusually hot in the room so by instinct only I lunged for the system, received 3rd degree burns from the GPU backplate, **** my pants and shut the system down straight away.

I dismantled the entire thing down to a bare chassis. All the blocks came apart, as well as the pump/res. I run EK's Ekoolant premix, and as a whole the loop was relatively clean (it would be about 6 months old). There was however, brownish residue caught up in the fins in both GPU blocks, and the CPU block. I even pulled a metal shard about 5mm in length from one of the ports on the bridge between the 2 GPUs. The res was full of tiny flecks of metal.

I originally thought this was the pump breaking down.. until I found majority of the mechanisms are plastic. Best I could figure was build up from the radiators.. but metal???

Either way.. I bought a new pump.. an EK-XRes 140 DDC 3.2 PWM Elite; https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-xres-140-ddc-3-2-pwm-elite-incl-pump

I flushed the loop and re-installed all the components. The only factors I changed were the pump, and the loop order. Originally, it went res/pump - radiator 1 - GPU 1 - GPU 2 - CPU - radiator 2 - res/pump. Now, it goes res/pump - radiator 1 - GPU 1 - GPU 2 - radiator 2 - CPU - res/pump.

The pump now being PWM was hooked up to a molex, and a 4-pin connector on the MB. My MB is a Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK.. or Z97X Black Edition. There are 5 4-pin connectors if you count the CPU and CPU_OPT ones. I hooked the pump to one of the non-CPU headers.

The system seemed to run fine for a few days, until I realised it was overheating again, and the pump wasn't doing anything. I turned it all off and switched headers just in case.. I was concerned at this point some of the MB's functions had been compromised from when everything failed the 1st time. I let it cool down and turned it on again. The pump started and was running fine, until it cut out again. It stayed off for a few mins then started again.. few mins later it turned off. It would do this 3 or 4 times, then turn off completely.

I thought at THIS point.. 'well its PWM.. its just on and off again due to load'. So I started GTA V.. and watched through Afterburner the temps climb up over 60c. Once it hit 75c without the pump even TRYING to start, I shut it off again.

I let it cool down once more, and turned it on again for one final test before I lost my ****. Pump started up again fine, did its start/stop thing, then stopped all together. At this point, CPU temp was about 40deg, GPU temps were about the same. System temp was 30deg. CPU and GPU temps climbed quickly above 70deg, but system temp wasn't climbing above 35c.. shut it all down again.

I switched the pump over to different molex connectors, different headers (including both CPU and CPU_OPT).. same result. Pump does not want to run.

I checked through my BIOS and there isn't any specific option for PWM control. You can adjust options like full speed, silent etc, but even with ALL headers set to full speed, pump does nothing.

I read that if a PWM pump is hooked up to the molex, but NOT the MB, it will run at a constant 60% so I tried this too.. however exactly same result.. it would start up fine.. then after a few mins start/stop.. then stop all together.

By this time I have cracked the ****s.. ripped out ALL my watercooling, and reverted to a dirty ol' intel CPU fan, and the aircoolers for the GPUs.

Seeing the intel fan makes me feel even dirtier when there are all these gorgeous EK blocks scattered all over my desk.

SO.. after all that.. if you are still reading.. this is the point I am at now. Is it a faulty pump? Have I done something to set it up incorrectly? Are some of my other components maybe not compatible/suitable somehow? Is it possible that the overheating previously could have damaged my existing hardware in some way?

As it sits right now, everything is running fine (albeit quite a lot warmer than I am used to seeing it on water). I don't think there is anything wrong with the rest of the hardware however feel a fresh perspective is what I need right now.

If you think there could be info relevant to a suitable solution that I haven't outlined here, let me know and I'll do my best to answer. If you are still reading and have any advice to give, I am eternally grateful!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you double-checcked the molex connection? Are all the pins properly in place? Try switching molex power cable to rule out that being faulty

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by morper View Post

Have you double-checcked the molex connection? Are all the pins properly in place? Try switching molex power cable to rule out that being faulty
I believe so yes, however always willing to give it another go. Being a modular PS should make it relatively easy! Question though.. I've since removed all the watercooling equipment from the PC.. will running this test in a closed loop outside the PC be as relevant as running it inside the PC? Off of the same PS of course.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts