Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a Cooler Master Blade Master PWM on my CPU heatsink. I would like to add another for push pull while retaining the PWM auto-speed-control feature so would it be safe to use a splitter?

Each Cooler Master fan draws 0.36A and 4.32W at maximum. I am currently running a P6X58D-Premium.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
You can't monitor two fans with one sensor. However, you can monitor one fan but power two.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
From what I've seen, the maximum amperage on a fan header is ~0.75A, so I would say you are ok, considering those fans only draw that power when spinning up for the first time.

Ninja Edit : Duckie is correct, the fan speed reading might be off, depending if the RPM sensor wire is split to both fans, but they will both be powered and controlled by the PWM.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I'm not concerned with being able to monitor RPM nearly as much as I would like the BIOS to be able to vary the speed of both fans via PWM. Just so I'm clear (about to spend money on this) I CAN in fact control both fans effectively with a PWM splitter?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
It will control both fans, but the bigger question here is power draw. You don't want to go drawing too much current, as things will start burning. Taking my minimum of .75A though, I would say you are fine. The current rating of the fans is the MAX draw, which would be when the fans start spinning from a stand still.

You may still want to look up the max fan header current of your specific mobo to be sure.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From the Asus manual for my board:

"The CPU_FAN connector supports the CPU fan of maximum 2A (24 W) fan power."

This should work then!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts