Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and if that is true, will PC be seeing more 64 bit executables?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,639 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So basically, ...whatever else, it isn't x86 the way it is for Windows 7/8 x86.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
64-bit architecture is actually just the 64-bit extension of the x86 architecture. That's why 32-bit (x86) programs generally run on 64-bit CPUs and OSes.

Most likely it will be a fully 64-bit CPU and OS in the PS4, as there's really no reason for them not to do it. The PS4 is essentially going to be a PC with a proprietary OS.

I wonder how long it will be before it's hacked.
biggrin.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatsquare View Post

So basically, ...whatever else, it isn't x86 the way it is for Windows 7/8 x86.
x86 is the "instruction set". It's how the CPU handles the assembly code, and why normal windows won't run on a cell phone. It's also why windows couldn't run on the old Power PC macs- they were 32bit, but they were not x86. The code that windows was made with wouldn't run on them. The name comes from the old 8086 CPU.

x86 caught on as a quicker way to mean 32-bit, but that really isn't what x86 means. All the CPU in your PC are still x86 CPU's, they're just 64 bit x86 CPU's. Microsoft naming the directory Program files (x86) didn't help anything either
tongue.gif
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrogbo View Post

64-bit architecture is actually just the 64-bit extension of the x86 architecture. That's why 32-bit (x86) programs generally run on 64-bit CPUs and OSes.

Most likely it will be a fully 64-bit CPU and OS in the PS4, as there's really no reason for them not to do it. The PS4 is essentially going to be a PC with a proprietary OS.

I wonder how long it will be before it's hacked.
biggrin.gif
yea which means better pc "ports" for us pc gamers because there will be not much to change during the "porting" proccess anyways....
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible20xx View Post

yea which means better pc "ports" for us pc gamers because there will be not much to change during the "porting" proccess anyways....
thumb.gif
Exactly! Even though I'll probably buy a PS4 of 720, the most exciting thing is the potential for better PC ports, especially since the 720 is supposed to be running on x86 architecture too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrogbo View Post

Exactly! Even though I'll probably buy a PS4 of 720, the most exciting thing is the potential for better PC ports, especially since the 720 is supposed to be running on x86 architecture too.
yea at last consoles will adopt the standard pc language !!

thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top