Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine got a virus off of limewire that he's have a hard time deleting. I don't remember if this is correct or not so i thought I'd run it by y'all. <br />
I told him that sometimes virus hide in the restore part of XP,O he has XP Home. I told him to shut off the restore point(witch will erase all restore points) then run his virus program(Norton) then restart .Anyway did i forget anything or am i completely wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,834 Posts
Put it in safe mode by pressing f8 on boot.<br />
<br />
And dont use norton it probably wont delete it because its crap...

• Rep+
Reactions: Barry

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,323 Posts
- Reboot into safemode with F8 after your BIOS and before the Win XP startup screen.<br />
<br />
- Run a disk cleanup session and get rid of all temp files (internet/install/etc)<br />
<br />
- Run Norton, if it doesn't detect anything get AVG (reboot, safemode, scan)<br />
<br />
- If the file is still there post a screenshot of the message you get here and I'll try to give you more specific instructions.

• Rep+

·

29,532 Posts
Housecall beats all that.<br />
I'll have to admit that Norton is a huge piece of crap and doesn't do the job well, and it's sucking <i>alot </i>of resources.<br />
Oh, whatever, run <a href="http://housecall.trendmicro.com/" target="_blank">housecall</a> in safemode and it'll probably have it sorted out.<br />
Try going into the %TMP% folder and deleting everything there (Yes, it's safe enough), press backspace when you're inside that folder and go into the folder called "Temporary Internet Files" and deleting anything inside that folder too.<br />
If you have problems delting any of the files in the %TMP% folder, please write which files that won't delete.<br />
Some files just won't get deleted, and it's normal with those.

• Rep+

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys,I sent him a link

1 - 5 of 5 Posts