Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've been thinking about what video card should I get, but unfortunately I'm quite a newbie you see, don't know all that much about computer stuff. My main goal: run TESV: Skyrim on above [with the help of mods] maximum graphics, as well as some other fairly new games.
(In case you're not familiar with the game requirements : http://www.systemrequirements.in/system-requirements-for-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim.html)
Some background info - I used to run it on fairly low settings on my Radeon HD 4890, before I accidentally burned it, lol..
redface.gif

So now I'm using an old, 512mb card from my old PC, that can't really run any of today's games.
I have some other heavy issues (not even sure whether it's a software or hardware problem) with my computer so I'm considering buying a whole new set, but currently I need advise on what video card to get.
Found this GeForce GT 430-4GB on eBay for just a 100% (for comparison purposes - here in Israel they cost around 350$ so that looks like a great deal) but fortunately I decided to read a couple of reviews/comments in some forums, including this one.
Couldn't find any single good review, but since I'm really really low on budget these days, I came here to ask is it worth the 100$ or not? Also, could you please tell me if the rest of components support the cable types that work with this card?
Here's a screenshot of my 'Manage' window, let me know if more info is required, and how to find it.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7951/85181437.png

PS-I don't plan on buying anything with lower than 4GB memory size (this is basically the 'strength' of the card, right? ^^").
PS2-If my computer parts don't support your suggestions - Should I just save up money for a few weeks and get a whole new machine?

a little offtopic question for gamers - what exactly in the computer affects gameplay? I mean, what do I need to max out to get the smoothest game experience with highest framerate?

Cheers,
-Valentin

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampiric View Post

a little offtopic question for gamers - what exactly in the computer affects gameplay? I mean, what do I need to max out to get the smoothest game experience with highest framerate?
In most cases the GPU will take care of the graphical parts, hence its name, so mostly the GPU will do the work for games, although in some games the CPU helps a lot too.

And personally, I think you should either go for the GTX 5xx serie or the Radeon HD 7xxx. But if you want, you can always take a look here, it's a page that compares graphical performance against its price.

·
Premium Member
11,034 Posts
Quote:

Hi all,
I've been thinking about what video card should I get, but unfortunately I'm quite a newbie you see, don't know all that much about computer stuff. My main goal: run TESV: Skyrim on above [with the help of mods] maximum graphics, as well as some other fairly new games.
(In case you're not familiar with the game requirements : http://www.systemrequirements.in/system-requirements-for-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim.html)
If you are serious about TES V Skyrim with high res textures and mods I suggest a fairly powerful 2GB card.

HD 7850 - USD 249
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129230

If you want something cheaper

GTX 560 2GB - USD 189
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500229

2GB is a minimum for skyrim with high res textures and mods. If you go below these cards in performance the GPU won't be powerful enough to max out settings at 1080p and give you smooth gameplay. Check the link below . you need these cards to get 60 fps at 1080p maxed out.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/03/04/amd_radeon_hd_7870_7850_video_card_review/8

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
I get even limited with 2GB Vram in Skyrim.

The best card to get is a 7950/70 3GB or a GTX680 4GB.
They do cost alot of money though.

So just get the fastest 2GB card your wallet allows.

* 4GB on a GT430 is useless, dont buy it.
Card is weak and 4GB wont make it perform any better then the 2 or even 1GB version of it.
The 4GB on that card is just a marketing gimmick

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Quote:

PS-I don't plan on buying anything with lower than 4GB memory size (this is basically the 'strength' of the card, right? ^^").
False. The memory on the card is not the "strength" of the card, that is determined by its processor, shader count, etc. High memory cards are meant for gamers with multi-monitor setups, as it doesn't really come into play that much on standard resolutions. Skyrim is an exception due to its render distance, and high res textures over huge distances do require larger amounts of memory, even on single monitor setups.

As far as a card, that GT430 is not going to do you much. It's a weak card without the firepower to actually run Skyrim at extreme settings, if you actually want to run Skyrim using maximum settings and modded textures, you're going to have to shell out for top-of-the-line cards like a GTX580/680, or equivalent AMD card (7950, 7970, sorry, I'm not quite as knowledgeable with AMD cards as I am nVidia cards). You'll want around 2GB or greater memory in it as well.
As it is, I'm not too sure you have the budget to run Skyrim with the settings you want, and might want to save up some more, especially with the higher costs from having to buy in Israel.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Tell us your whole computers specs.

I'm going to assume that your whole system is fairly old, so it's pretty likely that you're going to want to upgrade everything (to avoid any bottlenecks that would hold the entire rig back). Tell us so we can know for sure though.

BUT, assuming that your whole rig is up to par, a good graphics card would be:

The Nvidia GTX 670. I wouldn't recommend the HD 7970/7950 unless you're into overclocking, and I wouldn't recommend the GTX 680 unless you're the kind of person that has to have the flagship product.

·
PCMR
1,492 Posts
I concur GTX670 it's a great card for the money, not a Skyrim expert but 2GB will do fine in 90% of the games even at higher resolutions.

• Rep+
Reactions: Arnotts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts