Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys .. just wacked my cpu up a notch (well quiote a big notch) from 8x400 to 9x400 1.475v and im scared to test it lol

Damm thing wouldnt even boot at 8x420.. Do i dare stress it ????

·
Banned
285 Posts
Yeah it'll be fine, why don't you drop the voltage some, if the system won't start you can begin to puch the volts back up! I've got to 3.6 on under 1.36 volts (been awhile since I ran it 3.6) I didn't stress test it though, was fine for gaming and watching films

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idle temps are CPU 38 and System 42 in a room thats making me sweet just sitting hear.. didnt wanna risk having my comp freeze up due to low voltage, was gonna start at 1.5v but bottled it..

Ill run prime and see what i get

·
Banned
824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJWarden
View Post

Dont do games got 360 for that
video/audio editing

Fine.. Render a decent sized file with sony vegas. Watch your temps

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blue screened after 5 seconds with prime.. Voltage upped 2 notches.. maybe 3.6ghz was to much for my cpu

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emu105
View Post

i wish i can top notch my q6600 =(

Mine doesn't run stable at 3.6 either I've tried up to 1.475v. 8x400 is a snap @ 1.4125 but 9X400 probably won't work without 1.5v or more.

my q6600 isn't the best chip
3.2 works pretty good though.

EDIT:

I had a GA-965p-DS3 and even with Watercooling I was never able to top 9X333 stable on it. I was able to get an E6600 to 8X400 so it might just be my board or possibly memory. When I put the same q6600 in an EVGA 780i with some 800Mhz memory I was able to hit 3.2Ghz with little effort, and as you can tell by my Vcore this is a hot, Voltage hungry q6600.

I bet what was holding me back on the old board was my 667Mhz memory trying to run 800+ considering you're having no trouble running 8X400FSB with the quad and i couldn't get it to run that to save my life.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im really tempting to go water.. but i was saving for a complete CPU bundle.. i7/Mobo/Ram

OR i could just get Qx series .. decisions decisions

·
Banned
285 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJWarden
View Post

Blue screened after 5 seconds with prime.. Voltage upped 2 notches.. maybe 3.6ghz was to much for my cpu

Have you increased the voltage to the north bridge? and try keeping your memory speed low, 800Mhz works pretty good for me when I'm overclocking

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by diatec
View Post

Have you increased the voltage to the north bridge? and try keeping your memory speed low, 800Mhz works pretty good for me when I'm overclocking

Not changed the northbridge voltage, and yeh i keep memory at 800mhz , not sure i can change voltage of northbridge in bios,

Any third party apps that can do it ?

MCH voltage change is it
ill whack that up abit see what i get

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by richardbb85
View Post

Any chance ur mobo limiting ur OC?

could be .. its an old mobo over 2 years old lol .. ill stress what iv got so far, if that fails ill go back to 8x400 and get an i7 bundle

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by richardbb85 View Post
That's probably why, lol

Yea u r better off going with the bundle if u can

Its running benchmarks ok at 3.6ghz not tried prime yet.. Gona wait tillmy auction on ebay have ended incase i cant start comp

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
I couldnt get 3.6 to work either.

2.4-3.4 works 100%
3.5 only lasted a short time in Prime95
3.6 havent got it to work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts