Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aite guys, i am out of idea on how to get this thing up to 3.9-4.0.

right now i am stable at 3.85ghz with 1.55v, term 1.34, mch 1.32, Dram 1.88 in bios

i already tried 1.56v, term 1.40, pll 1.57, Dram 1.90, booted into window, but failed prime after few mins running Small FTTS. I know i am getting close to it, but just duno what to bump up.

any idea?
LL
LL

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by doat View Post
I don think you can get a q66 up to 4ghz for 24/7 use the voltage will be too high and the cpu will not last very long. You are already in the danger zone with your current clock according to your sig.
Agreed. I've read in an intel PDF somewhere on the website that the MAX voltage you should use while still being within a safe range is 1.55V. To be specific you should not exceed that. With a Q6600 a 3.6GHz clock is about the average OC that people expect from their chips.

Also make sure your temps. don't go over 72 degrees Celsius at load!

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gallocs View Post
Agreed. I've read in an intel PDF somewhere on the website that the MAX voltage you should use while still being within a safe range is 1.55V. To be specific you should not exceed that. With a Q6600 a 3.6GHz clock is about the average OC that people expect from their chips.

Also make sure your temps. don't go over 72 degrees Celsius at load!
yea 3.6ghz is a nice clock i dont think 3.8 will make much of a difference.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I know that but if you plan on keeping that chip and using it for 24/7 use then you won't be able to get it up to 4ghz without shortening its lifespan drastically. If it's just a chip you have as a spare then have fun with it otherwise i would just clock it down to 3.6ghz and be happy with it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by doat
View Post

yea 3.6ghz is a nice clock i dont think 3.8 will make much of a difference.

As far as gaming goes, the difference would be marginal. Even for encoding and the likes, the difference is practically unnoticeable. IIRC, using mine @ 3.8GHz with 1.55V helped me boost my max 3DM06 score a bit. Helped me get insanely close to 20k. >.<. However, due to cooling concerns, I prefer to use it at 3GHZ 24/7.

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardbb85

i won't be running it 24/7 if i can get it at 4.0. i just want to know if i can do it.

will probably stay at 3.7-3.8 for 24/7 use

First of all, please don't double post. Unless your bumping, but if your bumping, wait at least a day (24 hours.) Otherwise, just use the edit button and make changes/revisions/additions to your first post.

Having stability at 4GHz with a Q6600 is highly unlikely if you value your CPU's longevity. As far as the amount of damage 1.55V will do, nobody can say for sure. All that is known is that when too much voltage is fed through a processor, the silicon wafer begins getting damaged from electron migration as transistors open and close (AFAIK). I would say use 1.5V as your max. You won't see much difference as far as real world performance/speed.

I know everyone always wants more from their system, but think about, do you really want to damage a decent processor? Unless your going for some record OC, but I doubt that...

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, what is the VID on you processor? Is it 1.392V? (I saw this number in your sig. rig and I'm guessing it's your VID. You can check your VID using CoreTemp.) Because if it's 1.392V I can guarantee you that your CPU is not stable at the aforementioned clockspeeds. Have you tried using a stability testing program such as OCCTPT, Prime95 or Orthos?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
i run 3.8 with 1.6v and im fine.
it took me 1.675v to boot into windows at 4Ghz

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
In my experience with 6600s, you're going to need at least 1.6 to hit 4. It sounds high, but the amount of voltage you need for a given amount of clockspeed return increases sooooooo much after you OC it 50%

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.