Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking my rig to my mates house and he's got himself a Q6600 G0 CPU, what can I expect from this chip?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
3ghz with stock volts? depending on the vid 3.4+, but yeah q6600 is nice, it will feel the same as your 9450 for like norma use

·
Banned
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He bought it from overclockers.co.uk and I'm not sure what the VID is, how do I tell?

I just noticed that it was G0 and thought it could be a good clocker. His Abit Nforce 650i Fatal1y board just doesn't cut it (or clock it)

·
Banned
12,158 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shin2k35 View Post
He bought it from overclockers and I'm not sure what the VID is, how do I tell?
Make sure you have C1E and Speedstep off, then open core temp. It should show the VID.

In general, the very first Q6600 G0's had really low VIDs and on average overclocked better, and gradually the VIDs got higher and overclocked worse on average as time went on. The newest Q6600's have had 1.3+ VIDs and don't overclock very well at all.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Quote:

Taking my rig to my mates house and he's got himself a Q6600 G0 CPU, what can I expect from this chip?
Check the VID with CoreTemp. The worst ones have a VID of 1.3250. These will get 3.4 fairly easily with good cooling.

I've gotten 3.6 on my VID 1.3000.

A few G0s out there have even lower VIDs and can be pushed proportionately farther. If you're lucky and have great cooling, 3.8 might be possible.

·
Banned
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TnB= Gir View Post
Make sure you have C1E and Speedstep off, then open core temp. It should show the VID.

In general, the very first Q6600 G0's had really low VIDs and on average overclocked better, and gradually the VIDs got higher and overclocked worse on average as time went on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by error10 View Post
Check the VID with CoreTemp. The worst ones have a VID of 1.3250. These will get 3.4 fairly easily with good cooling.

I've gotten 3.6 on my VID 1.3000.

A few G0s out there have even lower VIDs and can be pushed proportionately farther. If you're lucky and have great cooling, 3.8 might be possible.

Oh, thought so. It's not here with me at the moment but the VID was 1.28 last night at stock speeds. I think there may have been some vdroop 1.26-1.28.

Thinking about it, that's the samw as my Q9450. But he should be able to exceed 1.36v?

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Yeah, you can pump 1.5V into a 65nm chip safely. Above that Intel says you may seriously shorten the life of your chip.

·
Banned
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjinsamax3 View Post
^ Ah, don't remind me.

Either way Q6600 runs really fast though. Can handle most tasks at stock anyways.
Yeah, my cooling solution sucks right now otherwise I'd clock my Q9450. But at the same time it handles all tasks at stock without a single hitch!

This is going to be a benchmark test, I think. Going to install 3dmark and run SuperPi testing both the Q6600 at stock and best overclock and then my Q9450 at stock and best overclock.

Hell, I'm going to have 3GB of PC5300, 4GB of PC8500 and 2GB of PC 6400 at hand if anyone wants the figures.

·
Banned
12,158 Posts
Quote:

Oh, thought so. It's not here with me at the moment but the VID was 1.28 last night at stock speeds. I think there may have been some vdroop 1.26-1.28.

Thinking about it, that's the samw as my Q9450. But he should be able to exceed 1.36v?

Quote:

Originally Posted by error10 View Post
Yeah, you can pump 1.5V into a 65nm chip safely. Above that Intel says you may seriously shorten the life of your chip.
Error is correct. For air cooling, no higher than 1.5v. With water, for 24/7 use, max I would go is 1.55v for 65nm.

1.28VID isn't that bad. He'll probably be able to get 3.4-3.6 depending on his cooler.

·
Banned
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TnB= Gir
View Post

Error is correct. For air cooling, no higher than 1.5v. With water, for 24/7 use, max I would go is 1.55v for 65nm.

I've only got air cooling but it's handy to know that 1.5v is the limit.

Hopefully my motherboard will cut through it like butter. It had huge issues with 45nm at first.

·
Banned
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update. These chips fail. That or my motherboard fails. I couldn't boot past 3.5ghz. I could post at all kinds of stuff (which was weird that my MB didn't freak out and require a CMOS reset) including 4.5ghz, but Windows wouldn't load up.

So 3.5ghz @ 1.5v was the best I could achieve. I was unimpressed.

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:

Just an update. These chips fail. That or my motherboard fails. I couldn't boot past 3.5ghz. I could post at all kinds of stuff (which was weird that my MB didn't freak out and require a CMOS reset) including 4.5ghz, but Windows wouldn't load up.

So 3.5ghz @ 1.5v was the best I could achieve. I was unimpressed.
Asus NVIDIA boards are known to be poor OCer's with quads. Also they are known to have FSB holes and FSB walls.

·
Banned
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah? I get the same results for my quad too. 3.5ghz

Sucks. I was going to grab an Intel board next time around (whenever that is) anyway.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Probably a motherboard failure there, I got my q6600 (G0) out of a now 1 and a half month old dell, and it has a 1.300 vid. Easily got it cool and stable at 3.6 ghz, 1.392 volts (in OS), on air. It boots quite a bit higher than 3.6 but I havnt pushed it too hard since it was still hot here in california when I was stability testing.

·
Banned
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, to be fair I tried straight off the bat with 4ghz, then 3.9, then 3.8 and then said "ah sod it" and went for 3.5ghz. I got there and gave up. Plus my mate was about to shed tears because he wanted his PC back up and running.

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:

Well, to be fair I tried straight off the bat with 4ghz, then 3.9, then 3.8 and then said "ah sod it" and went for 3.5ghz. I got there and gave up. Plus my mate was about to shed tears because he wanted his PC back up and running.
Knock him out next time so you have some more time.

·
15,777 Posts
What would be the normal roof for a B3 VID1.325?
Also my mobo was able to go to 3.0GHz two days ago(yes the mobo...)
and now it just resets the FSB settings, but only the FSB settings.
This mobo sure does what i want to, and it ain't much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts