Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. Bit new here, so hello to all.

I have a q6600, right.

And I have been having a comp with my mate and his i7 with super pi (He beats me by 4 seconds, Hes at 4.6Ghz)

I'm wondering, I got a my q6600 to 4.05GHz @1.7v on air. Do they go much further, and who has the most stable setup.

Cheer

·
Registered
853 Posts
1.7 volts? Jesus how long you expect that thing to live?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhnz View Post
Alright. Bit new here, so hello to all.

I have a q6600, right.

And I have been having a comp with my mate and his i7 with super pi (He beats me by 4 seconds, Hes at 4.6Ghz)

I'm wondering, I got a my q6600 to 4.05GHz @1.7v on air. Do they go much further, and who has the most stable setup.

Cheer
As people said, you will kill your chip at that voltage on air. Your temps must be sky-high.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nepas View Post
1.7 on air!! prepare for your chip to die
This... but if you do want to prove us wrong... you can you know... just watch it and see how long it lasts

and btw Pics or it didn't happen... I want to see this, voltage, temps, and the 120 on the computer

·
Registered
970 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TerminatorXT View Post
Pics or it didn't happen... I want to see this, voltage, temps, and the 120 on the computer
Yes i'm curious too

·
Registered
853 Posts
I gotta see this...

·
Veteran
1,146 Posts
What is the max voltage regardless of cooling?
Hypothetically speaking, if you could maintain a temperature below 50c with all the voltage in the world.
What would be the highest voltage before actually destroying the chip?

And what is the highest stable a Q6600 can take? I do not often see people pass 3.6GHz stable.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by korruptive View Post
What is the max voltage regardless of cooling?
Hypothetically speaking, if you could maintain a temperature below 50c with all the voltage in the world.
What would be the highest voltage before actually destroying the chip?

And what is the highest stable a Q6600 can take? I do not often see people pass 3.6GHz stable.
Intel rates the chip up to 1.5v's on their website.

3.6ghz is easy as long as the VID is below 1.30v and even then, you may still get to 3.6ghz..

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by q6600nut View Post
Intel rates the chip up to 1.5v's on their website.

3.6ghz is easy as long as the VID is below 1.30v and even then, you may still get to 3.6ghz..
No intel states that the maximum VID is up to 1.5v

VID is the voltage the cpu will need to reach its default clock speed.

Take my qx9650 for example,its stated that the VID of my cpu should be between 0.8500V-1.3625V.
The actuall VID of my cpu is 1.2375v meaning that my cpu need 1.2375v to run at default clocks.

So the lower the VID of your cpu(find in coretemp)the more headroom you have for overclock(usually)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by superj1977 View Post
No intel states that the maximum VID is up to 1.5v

VID is the voltage the cpu will need to reach its default clock speed.

Take my qx9650 for example,its stated that the VID of my cpu should be between 0.8500V-1.3625V.
The actuall VID of my cpu is 1.2375v meaning that my cpu need 1.2375v to run at default clocks.

So the lower the VID of your cpu(find in coretemp)the more headroom you have for overclock(usually)
Good point.

now guess who's got a 1.20 vid Q6600 and is gonna pump voltage like hell through it tonight??

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by q6600nut
View Post

Good point.

now guess who's got a 1.20 vid Q6600 and is gonna pump voltage like hell through it tonight??

Wow,thats an awesome cpu you have there!

Im a bit jealous of that VID,gimme lol.

Infact thats about as good a VID you can ask for with a Q6600

Your going to have lots of fun!

Post some results maybe?

Cpu VID database

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by q6600nut View Post
Good point.

You are the only person I have seen with a VID lower than mine(1.2125v)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts