Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to overclock my Q6600 to 3.0 Ghz, but I have run into a stumbaling block. I have a GA-EP35-DS3R rev 2.1 motherboard. 4 gigs of OCZ 800 ram, and a Nvidia 285 GPU.

I am unsure of the voltages to use to get my CPU to 3.0 Ghz. I have tried taking the Vcore from it’s normal voltage up to 1.375. And I am completely unsure of the other voltage settings in the M.I.T.

Also i am not sure if my power suply is strong enought to work with the over clocked core. it is a 650 W

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far i have moved the Vcore up from it's normal setting to about 1.375, and i can not even get the machine to boot windwos.

I set the RAM ratio to 1:1, and left the timmings on Auto

Also set the PCI-E clock to 100 mhz

Should i adjuct the ram voltages? or the MCH voltages?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok i have made some progress. I have manged to get windows to boot with the core running at 3.0 GHz, all i had to do was up the FSB, unfortunetly it is not a stable overclock. I think i have norrowed it down to cpu core temperatures. Just at stock speeds SpeedFan says the cores are running from 71 C to 86C while the system is idle. I have a Zalman CNPS9700NT Copper CPU Heatsink, I would have thought that i could get better temps with this Cooler.
Before any one asks, no i do no live in a warm area, I am in Ottawa, Canada.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If that is running at that temperature, I would double check that the CPU heatsink is fitted properly and securely with decent thermal compound.

Just for your referance my ambient temperature are about 25C and my CPU runs at 32-35C idle and 50-55C load, thats with it running at 3.6Ghz so something has to be wrong with your setup, its just finding what. Good luck

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have the same mobo as you (Different Processor) but I would use Realtemp. Speed fan has never given me the correct temps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've checked with real temp and it lists pretty much the same temps as speed fan, real temps are a little higher. I am going to try re seating the fan on the CPU later, how much/ how little thermal past should i use. I was told that use only enoght to cover the top of the proc . Is this enough?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so i have now cleaned and reaplied some Thermal past and re seated the fan on the cpu. For some reason, when I finaly booted the pc back on it triped hafl the breakers in my apartment.
Anyway real temp shows a highest temp of 50 C for the cpu cores and a lowest of 43 C, while this is better then before i still think this might be a bit on the hight side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so i have now cleaned and re applied some Thermal past and re seated the fan on the cpu. For some reason, when I finally booted the pc back on it tripped half the breakers in my apartment.
Anyway real temp shows a highest temp of 50 C for the cpu cores and a lowest of 43 C, while this is better then before i still think this might be a bit on the hight side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Overclock seems to be running fine now, ran Prime95 over night and it came out fine. Have it stable at 3.0 ghz with a 1:1 ram ratio, and pci-e set to 100 mhz. Vcore is at 1.265, i gave the ram a .1 increase in voltage to smothen things out. So far no issues
The fan does seem a to be attached lightly but screws holding the tension down can not be tighted any further nor can the screws holding the mounting bracket. I just used the thermal grease that came with the fan.

·
Registered
65 Posts
OK, thats a good voltage for that overclock, mine was higher than that at stock

Make sure while you overclock that you dont increase the ram any further than its standard stock speed as that will help you to eliminate ram as a stability issue, this should be changed after the cpu is stable.

If you want better temps use some decent thermal compound such as MX-2 or AS5.

Please fill out your sig computer details though, it will really help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts