Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im trying to overclock my Q6600 CPU. i couldnt do it before because the bios needed updated so i updated the bios to the latest version and booted up i entered bios and attempted to change the fsb speed. I worked out what to put the fsb to by doing this 1500(fsb) divided by 4(cores)=375(bus) times 8(multiplier) to get 3ghz. I saved the changes and restarted, i entered bios and made sure it was done and sure enough it said 3ghz i then ented windows and started CPU-Z and got this: http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/5919/q6600.png

i repeated the process several times and even changed the bios to an earlier version but still no luck. PLEASE HELP

also i cant get the ram speed to change. i dont have c1e or speed step enabled

this is a repost to try and get more answers

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Have you tried overclocking it at less than 3GHZ?
Sometimes it may be to much of an overclock and the motherboard can keep running at stock even if you changed it.
Try starting at around 2.5Ghz and keep going up

·
Banned
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah iv tried that. iv tried everything i tried disabling all of the cpus features like executable bit etc. it overclocks fine with a pentium 4 in it but it just doesnt work with the q6600 for some reason even though its officially supported

·
Registered
553 Posts
Have you tried loading and applications as it may be in idle clocks ( lower than the OC) have you changed the voltage that is going to the chip as it you don't the cpu will be unstable.

·
Banned
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i have raised the voltage from 1.24 to 1.31. i cant run intel burn because it just makes the pc turn off.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jy360 View Post
yeah i have raised the voltage from 1.24 to 1.31. i cant run intel burn because it just makes the pc turn off.
that's way to low for a 3GHZ OC there's your problem you need to bump it to 1.45, then try again 1.5 is the max safe and and I say safe a bit dubiously as 24/7 1.5 on air is not what you want also get real temp

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

And report back with what you get.

·
Banned
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the problem is that the bios isnt actually changing the values so i cant run any kind of tests because it is at 2.4ghz and i CANNOT change it and i dont know why. its as if the bios cant control the hardware for whatever reason

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by papcrap View Post
that's way to low for a 3GHZ OC there's your problem you need to bump it to 1.45, then try again 1.5 is the max safe and and I say safe a bit dubiously as 24/7 1.5 on air is not what you want also get real temp

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

And report back with what you get.
This is totally untrue, unless you have one of the worst Q6600 ever made.

I used to have a very similar board and sometimes it did the same thing. Do a hard reset of the Bios by pulling out the bios battery and also disconnect the power supply from the motherboard and leave it like this for at least 30 seconds. Then reconnect everything and try it again, but dont OC on the first boot, wait until the second at least.

·
Banned
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok im uploading pics to image shack. give it a couple of mins, super slow upload speed

·
Registered
549 Posts
1.325 Vcore is pretty high for first try for overclock especially when you CPU VID is 1.22 - it is 0.1 high. Change the voltage of the memory and the other stuff to default values - lowest. You could try to star overclock from low end - lower the DDR frequncy to 667 and start rising the FSB to see whather you are making something at all, and keeping the Vcore at around 1.24 or 1.25.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Your CPU has a lower VID than mine and I'm running at 3.6 so your CPU is good. Did resetting the bios enable you to OC or still same issue?

·
Banned
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i reset the bios and started but it said CMOS checksum error and i presses f1 to continue boot. still the same problem

·
Registered
553 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby1 View Post
This is totally untrue, unless you have one of the worst Q6600 ever made.

I used to have a very similar board and sometimes it did the same thing. Do a hard reset of the Bios by pulling out the bios battery and also disconnect the power supply from the motherboard and leave it like this for at least 30 seconds. Then reconnect everything and try it again, but dont OC on the first boot, wait until the second at least.
well I had the worst ever made then.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts