Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so here are the current system specs.

Seasonic S12ii 620 W
Gigabyte EP43-DS3L Mother Board
intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40ghz
8.00gb ram (not sure on the ram brand or specs at this time)
AMD Radeon HD 6450 1gb

now from what I understood it was hard to overclock the Gigabyte EP43-DS3L Mother Board to high #'s and get it stable.

soo, I went and ordered a Gigabyte Technology GA-P35-DS3R revision 2.1, because I found a lot of threads overclocking the q6600 on this board with good results.

Now was it a good choice going with the p35 chipset on the Gigabyte Technology GA-P35-DS3R over the p43 chipset on the Gigabyte EP43-DS3L Mother Board?

oh btw I'm getting rid of the stock intel cooler for a thermaltake ultra-120...
smile.gif

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,390 Posts
Your new board isn't much better, used to have one. Anything other than the ep45-ud3p or P5Q is kind of moot if you want high OC's.

That being said, you'd better off just upgrading everything if possible

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would the new mb be easier to OC than the one I have?

Also, I dont need crazy #'s, maybe 3.4-3.6 and Im happy. Not going to watercooling so I think 3.6 is about the end of my limit anyways...depending on temps

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,390 Posts
For 3.4 I wouldn't bother upgrading the mobo, anything higher and I would certainly start considering it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats using the GA-P35-DS3R right?

I put some bids on ebay for a p5w and a p5q motherboard (both asus) so if they go cheap enough I'll have one of those down the road. Will give me some experience tearing apart the pc and rebuilding it since its been like 8 years since I have done so. haha

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,390 Posts
3.4 on almost any board really...

any higher and I would go for the ud3p personally.

That being said, I would save the money. Not worth the money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks a lot.

It helps when people are just blunt and dont beat around the bush and keep me waiting for days.

I think I am going with the GA-P35-DS3R mother board ....1 since I just bought it, and 2 my cousin is overclocking his Core 2 duo on there(GA-P35-DS3 without the raid), so he has experience with the MB if I need any help.

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
If you look at your Q6600 gear as a way to explore the hobby of overclocking,and espically some older techniques you realise more value than just getting your OC and being done with it.If you did get the mentioned EP45-UD3P you could spend many hours teaching youself about cpu architecture and learning the BIOS that comes with the UD3P is a journey all in itself.The Q6600 should not be your only PC.If you can only afford one and you want it a bit fast and a bit modern take a look a first gen i7's and the X58 boards from both ASUS and Gigabyte,there is value to be had if you do not need the final last bit of performance that the newest socket 1155 gear offers.

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,390 Posts
Learning to OC on the UD3P definitely has it's value. Has an outstanding BIOS and great power delivery system. Great for overclocking and you can certainly learn a whole lot from it. If you have the money, it's certainly a lot of fun to mess with. Did the same thing you're doing a couple years back. Learned a lot from it. OC'ing on modern systems is a lot easier and quite a bit different but still. Like you said, it's all in good fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCCstudent View Post

If you look at your Q6600 gear as a way to explore the hobby of overclocking,and espically some older techniques you realise more value than just getting your OC and being done with it.If you did get the mentioned EP45-UD3P you could spend many hours teaching youself about cpu architecture and learning the BIOS that comes with the UD3P is a journey all in itself.The Q6600 should not be your only PC.If you can only afford one and you want it a bit fast and a bit modern take a look a first gen i7's and the X58 boards from both ASUS and Gigabyte,there is value to be had if you do not need the final last bit of performance that the newest socket 1155 gear offers.
haha all that is going to make my head blow up this year. Learning all that , plus working on learning how to tune my trans am's computer (when I can afford the software), and trying to find a new job....all while trying to make it to new planets in kebal

No that would be "ideal" and not really that bad of an idea. Actually give me some knowledge about how stuff works. I use to know quite abit about architecture and the bios and everything. That was back when I was in high school. I think I had an amd xp or something I was trying to oc.

I think I'll put the p35 motherboard in. Learn to OC this very well, learn why changing this or that effects it in the way it does and work my way up with my understanding and OC speed. Then when I get more money work my way up to learn more with newer MB and CPU's and add to my knowledge base.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.