Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody knows how much points can I get from Intel Q6600 Processor folding 24 hours on all cores?

Thanks in Advance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
more than me lol. id say 2000-2500? just a guess please correct me if im way off, it depends on a ton of stuff though....WU, RAM, SMP, Overclocked or not....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,835 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SZayat View Post
Let's Say: Q6600 with stable stock speed
Stock is boring....

For some kind of reference. I can pull an easy 1500-1800ppd with my C2D @ 3,5Ghz.

I know hellscream has a q6600 folding, message him.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,917 Posts
don't msg me I'll simply post, I pull in 3k+ ppd with win SMP, currently just set up a VMWARE SUSE SMP setup and will fire it up soon, supposedly will gleam an extra 10%... I'm OCed to 3.3Ghz and 4-4-4-5 @ 920 on my RAM...

but if you really want to know check out knitelife's folding farm of Q6600s....one of his is OCd to 4.1Ghz stable on phase, and folds 24/7 for 4000+ppd

@stock I think i was pulling about 2.5k ppd in SMP...
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: SZayat

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,824 Posts
My X3210 (more or less a Q6400) is good for around 3500 ppd at 3.0 GHz. Knitelife's top rig scores around 4500 ppd (4.0+ GHz under phase).

In my limited testing to date, I noticed some very sweet spots (as well as some duds) with quad core OCing. Optimizing folding output on quads takes a bit more effort than on dual cores, but it's nothing that a bit of trial and error can't solve.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,351 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by this n00b again
View Post

wow. thats alot of ppd.

any guess on a pentium d folding only one 1 core, ppd?

I know my 3800 X2 clocked at 2.5GHz folding on 1 core almost 24/7 gets less than 100 points per day. So any Pentium 4/D under or around 3.7GHz would get the same.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by JacKz5o
View Post

I know my 3800 X2 clocked at 2.5GHz folding on 1 core almost 24/7 gets less than 100 points per day. So any Pentium 4/D under or around 3.7GHz would get the same.

thanks! no mean to jack the thread.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,844 Posts
For reference, my E6600 clocked at 3Ghz and my RAM at DDR2-1000, I pull in a little over 2,000 PPD. So double that, and you should have a ballpark figure for a comparably clocked Q6600.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
Overclocked, lets say 3.0 to 3.4ghz I would say the overall averages between slower and faster WUs would be:

WinSMP : 3000ppd
2 X VMWare 3500ppd
2 X Native Linux = 3800ppd

Those are estimates, will be more or less based on your overclock and settings, but should give you the general idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,808 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by H3||scr3am
View Post

don't msg me I'll simply post, I pull in 3k+ ppd with win SMP, currently just set up a VMWARE SUSE SMP setup and will fire it up soon, supposedly will gleam an extra 10%... I'm OCed to 3.3Ghz and 4-4-4-5 @ 920 on my RAM...

but if you really want to know check out knitelife's folding farm of Q6600s....one of his is OCd to 4.1Ghz stable on phase, and folds 24/7 for 4000+ppd

@stock I think i was pulling about 2.5k ppd in SMP...

With VMware you will only be able to utilize two cores per virtual machine. You can run multiple virtual machines, but, I'm not sure if that will allow you to utilize all four cores.

I'm going to try it when I get my quad next month.
(or, you can do it for me
)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,808 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Knitelife
View Post

Overclocked, lets say 3.0 to 3.4ghz I would say the overall averages between slower and faster WUs would be:

WinSMP : 3000ppd
2 X VMWare 3500ppd
2 X Native Linux = 3800ppd

Those are estimates, will be more or less based on your overclock and settings, but should give you the general idea.

So, you can run two instances of VMware? How much ram does that use?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thaks a lot. Still I find the Q6600 quite obviously the most sensible choice.

REP+ for the help
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,824 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by SZayat
View Post

Thaks a lot. Still I find the Q6600 quite obviously the most sensible choice.

REP+ for the help

With the imminent price drops and G0 steppings on the horizon, quad cores will soon dominate the folding scene. At $500+, there weren't enough in use to make a major impact, but in the $300 range (less than the initial price of a E6600), I fully expect to see many in service very soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,808 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Taeric
View Post

With the imminent price drops and G0 steppings on the horizon, quad cores will soon dominate the folding scene. At $500+, there weren't enough in use to make a major impact, but in the $300 range (less than the initial price of a E6600), I fully expect to see many in service very soon.

I agree. I'm going to sell my X6800 on Ebay and buy two. My folding will more than double. (of course that will kick me out of the competition
)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,824 Posts
There's nothing stopping you from splitting off a couple of cores for the team competition and lumping the remainder. Take a look at Team Folders Inc., which has put their "extra" cores to very good use.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top