Overclock.net banner

Which is better

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally about to take the plunge on the hardware side of the new case mod.

So should I go with the Asus P5Q-E and a 4850x2 2gb, or the Asus Maximus II Formula and a 4870 1gb.

Ill also have the Q6600 clocked to as close to 4ghz stable 24/7. G-skill super pi 2x2gb 1066mhz, 4x320 HDDs raid 0.

It will be used mostly for gaming and media. I use the 24" Samsung 2493HM, and will be gaming at max res.

So what to do the genius minds of this site offer as advice?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I left my genius mind in bed this morning

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think maybe 4850x2 would handle the res you're looking for a bit better than a 4870.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Definitely the second choice. Yes, the 4850x2 is two cards, but considering the fact that you are using a 50" monitor, I am sure that your computer will benefit from the extra 512MB of vRAM. I am currently using a 320MB 8800 GTS and I completely regret the fact that I did not buy the 640MB version instead. With such limited vRAM, I can not run high textures like I want to and if I were to get a monitor any bigger than my 19", I am sure it will not be able to handle it.

Oh...and that Maximus II Formula is totally worth it too.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
go nvidia....

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Vega
View Post

Finally about to take the plunge on the hardware side of the new case mod.

So should I go with the Asus P5Q-E and a 4850x2 2gb, or the Asus Maximus II Formula and a 4870 1gb.

Ill also have the Q6600 clocked to as close to 4ghz stable 24/7. G-skill super pi 2x2gb 1066mhz, 4x320 HDDs raid 0.

It will be used mostly for gaming and media. I use the 24" Samsung 2493HM, and will be gaming at max res.

So what to do the genius minds of this site offer as advice?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral Mudkipz
View Post

Definitely the second choice. Yes, the 4850x2 is two cards, but considering the fact that you are using a 50" monitor, I am sure that your computer will benefit from the extra 512MB of vRAM. I am currently using a 320MB 8800 GTS and I completely regret the fact that I did not buy the 640MB version instead. With such limited vRAM, I can not run high textures like I want to and if I were to get a monitor any bigger than my 19", I am sure it will not be able to handle it.

I think he wrote 24" monitor. Anyway. I would go with the dual card setup. I really don't have a good reason for either but I would think 2 4850's would be better than 1 4870.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral Mudkipz
View Post

um... what? the 4850x2 is 2 HD 4850's 1GB crossfire on a stick.

the 4850x2 is the superior card for gaming, especially @ your large resolution where Crossfire scales the best.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The polls are pretty close. From what I've read, the 4850x2 would still take the 4870 in most benchmarks, but the 4870 works better with games with no x-fire support. Its really a toss-up to me, cause either option could be doubled to x-fire/quad-fire if I needed to.

The boards' performances should be about the same as far as overclockability(kinda like drinkability, but less tasty), but having all those extra features and fan ports, not to mention all the BIOS extras, I'm leaning toward the Maximus.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do already have the Q. Its a G0 stepping, sadly a 1.2875vid.

I guess I should also mention this is going to be powered off my Strider 750w PSU.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by darksideleader
View Post

um... what? the 4850x2 is 2 HD 4850's 1GB crossfire on a stick.

the 4850x2 is the superior card for gaming, especially @ your large resolution where Crossfire scales the best.

Oh sorry, I thought the 4850x2 used 2 HD 4850's 512MB cards.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The combos listed above are going to be the choices for my spending limits. I am leaning to the maximus for the fact that it has all those fan inputs. Im going to be doing a very heavy air cool setup, and it has the perfect number of ports for all the fans. Not to mention, great on board cooling.

So the real question, better motherboard, or better GPU-but also consider future proofing, such as x-fire and other improvements.

As always, thanks for all the input

1 - 15 of 15 Posts