Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would I go about shutting off 2 cores on the Q6600. I want a quad core, but the energy consumption is so bad. I figure if I can use just 2 cores, and 4 in a year or 2, then it wouldn't be so bad. They are always saying on the news how people have got the E8400 up to XGhz, with 1 core shut off.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TnB= Gir
View Post

You should be able to shut them off in the BIOS. I know there's been the option in my past 4 boards.

ive been wondering this too,

do you know if there's an option on the p5k series of boards?

sorry if im threadjacking

·
Registered
211 Posts
yeah my MB has a multicore processing Enable/Disable but that will probly shut off 3 of the cores and only run 1

·
Expand Always in Always
4,596 Posts
If I'm not mistaken its the Limit cpuid max. to 3 setting.

·
Disgruntled Lurker
691 Posts
If you don't mind me asking why are you so concerned? The heat produced or the energy cost?

Also, IMO... If you are REALLY that concerned with power consumption, I'd say get yourself a Socket P motherboard and a T-series Intel mobile processor.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Dude... just set your computer to throttle the processor speed. That probably makes a bigger difference than shutting off two cores. Oh, and turn your computer off when you're done, or have it hibernate.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

·
Expand Always in Always
4,596 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost
View Post

it should be in your bios called multi processing. ive done it by accident once. i know for a fact thats what its called.

On a p35-ds3l mobo?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reezin14
View Post

On a p35-ds3l mobo?

i dont know for sure about that board. but look for it. or some thing similiar to it.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reezin14
View Post

If I'm not mistaken its the Limit cpuid max. to 3 setting.

DO NOT do this unless you have to run Windows 98 for some reason. It kills a LOT of your CPU features and basically takes you back to the days of Socket 7. And very few people want to go back that far....

·

29,532 Posts
Just get a Conroe

·
Registered
28 Posts
your gigabyte board come with a software to lower power consumtion .... use that ... but if you OC .. then nothing will help unless just turn off

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
meh gigabyte booards dont give you the option for disabling the cores ( as far as my last 1 p35- ds4 rev2 )

instead you can simply downclock you cpu it will have the same effect anyways

maybe you would be better opening a new website ( downclock.net ) hahaha

only joking bro ma bad

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Erm, isn't this Overclock.net???? Maybe you want underclock.net

As ChrisB pointed out, try Speed Step from within the BIOS.. On my DFI board, it constantly underclocks my Q6600 even when I don't want it to. I have it enabled because I don't want my kid blowing it up lol!

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Indignity View Post
Erm, isn't this Overclock.net???? Maybe you want underclock.net

As ChrisB pointed out, try Speed Step from within the BIOS.. On my DFI board, it constantly underclocks my Q6600 even when I don't want it to. I have it enabled because I don't want my kid blowing it up lol!
I just want to keep the electric bill down, while the other 2 cores would NOT be useful whatsoever to me. When quads are utilized, then I would enable then.

I wanted to have like an e6300 like I have now, but also the power of the Q6600 when quads are utilized better

1 - 20 of 37 Posts