Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So to start, I tried downloading SetFSB on my computer (HP Pavilion a6300f) and all the options are grayed out, this means it simply is not compatible with my motherboard i'm guessing for whatever reasons yes or no?

So i'm thinking the only way to overclock this computer is to use the BSEL Mod, would the Q6700 be better with the BSEL mod which I think would put it at about 3.2GHz or would the Q9650 at 3GHz be better without any overclocking there is other factors that go into the Q9650 which I didn't know if the .2GHz was worth more or less than them besides the fact the Q6700 is less than half the price. I'm thinking the Q6700 would be better but I wanted to get some professional opinions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors

Can anyone tell me will I need to upgrade from the stock cooler or should it be okay? I keep my fan speeds on 100% at all times using speedfan since I had issues with overheating in the past and it keeps everything 40C and under except the GPU which sits at about 50C and under.

·
Registered
73 Posts
One Thing to check is the FSB Speed your board is capable of.
With BSEL Mod the FSB is set from 1333 to 1600 if i get it right.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,835 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One Thing to check is the FSB Speed your board is capable of.
With BSEL Mod the FSB is set from 1333 to 1600 if i get it right.
Yes but you can use 1066 chips with the BSEL mod to achieve 1333 in a board capable of 1333 FSB, which is basically the scenario of the question i'm asking. My board is capable of 1333FSB.

Just because a motherboard is 775 doesn't mean all 775 CPUs work in it. The Core 2 Quads aren't listed as even being supported on the A6300F.

BSEL mods don't add any voltage off default VID so the smaller the increase the more likely it'll work.
I know i'm not too worried about that wasn't the question but multiple people have told me it's capable of quad cores and that I need to update the BIOS but i'm taking it slow to do so because I don't want to risk ruining the board, at least not until I have a backup.

I was under the impression that the BSEL mods all increased about .6GHz.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,835 Posts
I was under the impression that the BSEL mods all increased about .6GHz.
Changes FSB from 266 to 333. Depends on the multiplier of the CPU you're doing the mod to what it increases to.

The Q9650 is already a 333 FSB CPU. There's supposedly a 333 to 400 FSB method you can do to it - but very few boards support 400 FSB out of the box and I doubt a OEM board with only dual core support will.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Changes FSB from 266 to 333. Depends on the multiplier of the CPU you're doing the mod to what it increases to.

The Q9650 is already a 333 FSB CPU. There's supposedly a 333 to 400 FSB method you can do to it - but very few boards support 400 FSB out of the box and I doubt a OEM board with only dual core support will.
Yeah, I actually just decided to go ahead and do it and i'm successfully running on Q9650 and it's showing all 4 cores, not having any issues it wouldn't seem either like I was before. https://gyazo.com/8dd75e0f6cdbf21790df8354dcc962a5

Yeah unfortunately my board does not support more than 1333FSB which is fine, i'm just trying to figure out if it would be worth it to switch to the Q6700 since that's the highest rated(from what I can see) CPU with 266 or 1066 as it shows on wikipedia I do believe it would be close to 3.2GHz at the very least 3GHz it has a 10x multiplier based on the E7500 has an 11x multiplier i'm told the E7500 with this mod changes it to 3.66 GHz from 2.93GHz

·
Mr.4way SLI
5,522 Posts
I have ran the BSEL mos on a few older dells. The issues I had with the Q6700 was not enough voltage and ended up just using the Q6600 and had a better result. However the Stock Q9650 was still a better overall option on them when i did testing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have ran the BSEL mos on a few older dells. The issues I had with the Q6700 was not enough voltage and ended up just using the Q6600 and had a better result. However the Stock Q9650 was still a better overall option on them when i did testing.
Thanks for the reply

1 - 8 of 8 Posts