Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 810 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Welcome

I have seen a lot of people coming to the forums with the Q9300 and I thing its about time we had a little club. I will add more to this first post as I get more info.

Q9300 Sites...

Xbit Q9300 Labs review - TriBeCa
The Tech Report: Q9300 - teK0wnzU
Mono_1's Cosmos Type-S Mod - Mono_1
Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9300 - Arcane.001100
Intel® Core™2 QX9000, Q9000, Q9000S, Q8000, and Q8000S Series - Arcane.001100

Q9300 vs. Q6600 - teK0wnzU

Post current stable speed and VCore....

Join the "Overclock.net" Folding Team!
http://folding.stanford.edu/
TEAM# 37726

If you need help getting started let me know!

The Few, The Proud, The Q9300...

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tOIAJMkVeE_hUkRLPimvCQQ&w=75&h=500 Google Spreadsheet

..::|Q9300 Club|::..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I'm new to overclocking. Can you show me how you were able to overclock your CPU to 3.4Ghz? is it stable and what are your voltages in the Bios?

I clocked my Q9300 to 3.4Ghz but it's not stable. It runs prime95 about 10-30 mins then 1 or 2 cores would fail and only 2 cores left would be running.

Specs. Q9300, Cooler Master liquid cooling, Striker II Formula, Raid 0 striping with 2Hdd, Windows Vista 64, 2 x 9800GTX in SLI, 2GB of Cosair Dominator (PC8500).

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm working on a guide now and should be done with it by the end of the week. I didn't run Prime95 to test mine, I just played a 3hr game of Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance and it seemed fine. I will be running tests in Win XP Pro x64 and Ubuntu x64 8.04. Thanks for stoping in, and make sure to update your system so others can see your "sig rig" http://www.overclock.net/specs.php
Also if you have any guides or OCing tips for your rig let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noob eater4726 View Post
Sweet, Hey teK0wnzU, what temps are you getting on stock?
As of yet I'm getting...
CPU - Idle:35C CPU - Load:42C

You are going to have to tell us how you got 3.5 stable.
Good on you!!!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Getting it to 3.0 is easy, depending on the board it's on. I am sure you will love the Q9300.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Really think it comes down to 45nm, Power Consumption, and for me SSe4.1.

Even with a cache advantage the Q6600 stock runs at 1066 and the Q9300 @ 1333 stock. For OCing the Q6600 is better, but stock vs stock the Q9300 just wins.

As for the guide, I'm still working on it. I'm in the USAF and the last few weeks have been busy. But I've been doing some Super Pi and Prime 95 test from Stock Up to 3.4Ghz and I am trying to give a day of rest between tests.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Check out the Xbit Labs review. Even OC'd the q9300 outperforms the q6600 on most (but not all) benchmarks. This advantage will become larger as SSE4 becomes more common.

And here's my final 24/7 OC @ 3.125 vcore, just finished the prime95 test:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Congrats Tribeca,
So your FSB is set to 450? I can't read your pic so well.
And what about your temps? I don't know how to configure Speedfan so can you give me the temps with RealTemp?

I will give it a try soon: 3.125 with FSB 450.
I'm working with 1.30625 (one notch below yours) and FSB 430.

Philip

·
Registered
638 Posts
Sweet! You guys are just diving in! I'm going to safe and sure route, but I guess I will be joining you soon if all your OCing pans out. I'm still just going to keep it at 3.0Ghz just to keep a little life in her, but as soon as I get mine LAPPED I'm going to go for broke. Long live the Q9300!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Yeah, my FSB is at 450 for 3.375GHz. Sorry if it's unclear, resized it as I didn't want to post a 1680x1050 image here.

Temps in speedfan peaked at 69C during testing. I just switched to CoreTemp instead of Speedfan and it's reading roughly 5C higher, which puts me over intel's rating of the chip

Fortunately nothing ever gets close to the temps produce by prime95, so I should be safe at these temps. I'll definately be keeping a close eye on it. It feels like these temps are too high considering I have a Tuniq Tower on there--I may try reseating. Unfortunately lapping is not an option for this rig, because it's a work machine that needs to stay under warrenty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TriBeCa View Post
Yeah, my FSB is at 450 for 3.375GHz. Sorry if it's unclear, resized it as I didn't want to post a 1680x1050 image here.

Temps in speedfan peaked at 69C during testing. I just switched to CoreTemp instead of Speedfan and it's reading roughly 5C higher, which puts me over intel's rating of the chip

Fortunately nothing ever gets close to the temps produce by prime95, so I should be safe at these temps. I'll definately be keeping a close eye on it. It feels like these temps are too high considering I have a Tuniq Tower on there--I may try reseating. Unfortunately lapping is not an option for this rig, because it's a work machine that needs to stay under warrenty.
Can you tell me your idle temps? Couldn't you try RealTemp? In that case I can compare it to my system.

gr. Phil

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
RealTemp and CoreTemp should produce close to the same results...give or take 1-2C. You can switch to CoreTemp if you want a more direct comparison

·
Registered
30 Posts
You are right, RealTemp gives the same values as Core Temp.
So again:

Core Temp Idle on my system is : 43,51,49,46
Yours? ;-)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
56, 55, 56 56 @ 1.3125 vcore, 3.375 GHz.

I'm seriously considering a reseat...the Tuniq Tower should be able to handle this better.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm conflicted... I like my Zalman 9700, but I wonder if something else would be better. I Love that its all Copper, and it looks cool too. But the fins are like little razors so I installed it with the gloves that came with my PSU. But I also wanted to get the Tuniq Tower and put 2 fans on it. Hummmm....

1 - 20 of 810 Posts