Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The VID of my Q9300 is 1.188, I was just wondering if this is good as I am not too experienced with 45nm quads. How does it compare to most? Plus rep for thorough answers, thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot
View Post

That is a great vid on your CPU.

Most are usually in the 1.2 range.

Ok cool thanks man!

·
Banned
11,146 Posts
I know that many ``normal`` 45nm's are about 1.21-1.25v! So you have a good vid!

• Rep+
Reactions: slothfish

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys! I know my VID won't really predict how far I can take my chip, but hopefully I can get there with fewer volts! What do you guys think is the maximum safe voltage for my chip to run 24/7? Keep in mind I want to have this thing running well for years to come and have it folding every day all day.

·
Banned
11,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slothfish
View Post

Thanks for the help guys! I know my VID won't really predict how far I can take my chip, but hopefully I can get there with fewer volts! What do you guys think is the maximum safe voltage for my chip to run 24/7? Keep in mind I want to have this thing running well for years to come and have it folding every day all day.

1.3625 in real time
have fun overclocking!

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wonderful, I can probably hit a good clock at that voltage. Thanks guys!

·
Banned
11,146 Posts
I would bet 3.6ghz max, if your motherboard is ok!

Report back!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Sorry to be a buzz-kill but no, that's not a particularly good VID. A low-VID Q9300 would be 1.075-1.1625V or so.

That said, lower VID q9300s are pretty rare and a higher VID does not necessarily mean a bad clocker. One of my best clocking chips was an E8500 I had awhile back with a 1.25VID, which is pretty much the highest I've seen in a retail chip.

Only 1 way to find out

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurusan
View Post

Sorry to be a buzz-kill but no, that's not a particularly good VID. A low-VID Q9300 would be 1.075-1.1625V or so.

That said, lower VID q9300s are pretty rare and a higher VID does not necessarily mean a bad clocker. One of my best clocking chips was an E8500 I had awhile back with a 1.25VID, which is pretty much the highest I've seen in a retail chip.

Only 1 way to find out

Awwww shucks
. What about the max safe 24/7 voltage? Is it the same people have been telling me?

·
Banned
11,146 Posts
everyone will tell you 1.3625v for 24/7 max....

·
Registered
695 Posts
There's a ton of debate over what's the max safe voltage. Intel's website gives two numbers, the 1.36xxx number and another higher one (I don't know what it is for your chip, but probably on the order of 1.45). Some argue that the higher one is a max for short term stuff and can cause degradation over time, others say no worries at the higher voltage.

I think that's actually a pretty good vid for that chip, definitely better than average even if its not the absolute best.

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slothfish
View Post

Awwww shucks
. What about the max safe 24/7 voltage? Is it the same people have been telling me?

1.3625v is the accepted max. But it wont matter on that motherboard, can it even overclock?

You'll need to get a really good overclocking motherboard to get some good speeds out of that chip.

I would recommend
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128358

and for a budget CPU cooler...
XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm Rifle CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233001

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penicilyn View Post
1.3625v is the accepted max. But it wont matter on that motherboard, can it even overclock?

You'll need to get a really good overclocking motherboard to get some good speeds out of that chip.

I would recommend
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128358

and for a budget CPU cooler...
XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm Rifle CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233001

No the BIOS on this mobo sucks. I'm getting a ud3p and a nh-c12p soon, thats why I'm asking :).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts