Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to overclock my Q9400, and Im having some problems. The max i've gotten out of it is 3443mhz, but I'd like to go higher since my temps aren't too bad (never above 50 under load) If i go over 3443 Mhz, it just won't boot. CPU voltage is 1.3625V and its very unstable. For some reason, I dont have internet connection If its over 3.4ghz and my colors in windows 7 are too dark. If I try to stress test it, it just freezes and I have to reboot. So I tried to lower my CPU clock down to 3.2 ghz and kept the voltage @ 1.3625V It seemed to be stable: I ran prime95 for 10h without problems and played games like Crysis and DiRT 2, but It still crashes in some older games like Audiosurf and Age Of Empires 2

I noticed that My CPU voltage in CPU Z is showing 1.280V instead of 1.3625V I have set in BIOS and as soon as i start stress testing it drops down to 1.216V.
I guess thats what causes my problems, Is there a way to fix it? Sadly my Motherboard doesn't support LLC. A friend of mine told me that Too high voltage on 5V rail might cause instability and it should never be above 5V. So I checked mine and it was 5.51V. He has an i7 920 @ 3.80ghz and his 5V rails is 4.95V.

SPECS:
Q9400
ASUS P5QL
2x2gb Elixir DDR2 PC8500 1066MHz 1.8V CL6 Nanya chip
Scythe Mugen 2

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
you need to give your vtt more voltage.. 1.40 at least do not go over 1.45 tho...
also your north bridge will need more voltage and your ram could run at 2.0v without a problem and you will probably need to do that to get stability. the q9400 tends to hit a wall at 3.6 but i seen people running q9400 at 4.0ghz.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How high should I set the northbridge voltage? and Is it safe run my ram @ 2V or it might burn?

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Klapp
View Post

How high should I set the northbridge voltage? and Is it safe run my ram @ 2V or it might burn?

your ram should be safe at 2v. north bridge should be north of 1.50v.. if is not stable at 1.50 then go to 1.55 up to 1.60 or 1.65 which it will only be limited by your motherboard. it should be safe just make sure that it has a fan on it because if it dosnt your board will be damaged.

if i remember correctly.... my q9400 was like this..

vcore 1.44
ram 2.1
nb 1.60
sb 1.55
vtt 1.45
this chip ran for over a year with me and is still crunching numbers with a friend of mine that i sold it to. so you should be alright.

• Rep+
Reactions: Klapp

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried:
RAM: 2.0
NB: 1.4 (MAX)
VTT: 1.4(MAX)
SB: AUTO(max is 1.7v.)
So yeah, I cant really change the voltages alot... I got my internet to work for once when i had it @ 3.4, but no luck afterwards. So im back @ 3.2 and my voltages still drop from 1.3625 to 1.216.

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
You need to make sure that the speed step thing on the bios is not messing with the voltages

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have disabled SpeedStep, but what should i do with Intel Virtualization Technology? Should I leave it enabled or should I disable it?

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Klapp View Post
I have disabled SpeedStep, but what should i do with Intel Virtualization Technology? Should I leave it enabled or should I disable it?
leave it enable.. there is another option called enhanced c1 state or something like that.. i dont have a 775 board so i dont know the exact name but try and look for that in the cpu options of the bios. actualy let me know all the options that you have on the cpu in the bios.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by manolith View Post
you need to give your vtt more voltage.. 1.40 at least do not go over 1.45 tho...
also your north bridge will need more voltage and your ram could run at 2.0v without a problem and you will probably need to do that to get stability. the q9400 tends to hit a wall at 3.6 but i seen people running q9400 at 4.0ghz.
Exactly!

When I had my Q9400, the wall was 3.6GHz. Anything after that required a MAJOR bump in voltage, and the heat wasn't worth it. Not to mention the Northbridge temp started creeping up there too

3.4GHz is nothing to sneeze at! That's almost an 800MHz OC!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No matter what i do, I cant get it stable @ 3.4ghz. I also noticed my SouthBridge and NorthBridge were getting way too hot(painfull to hold my finger against the heatsink.) So I lowered my NB and SB voltages down. Doesn't really matter how high they are, Its still unstable.

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
well it seems like your wall is 3.3ghz. the q9400 is not a good overclocker. sorry

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still think that the instability is caused by the CPU voltage drops, but does my PSU drop the voltages? I have a 500w Blue Storm II and its pretty much maxed out(Im using an ATi Radeon 5870 with it.) Or its my motherboard that drops voltages? Maybe a new PSU will fix this issue?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Klapp View Post
I still think that the instability is caused by the CPU voltage drops, but does my PSU drop the voltages? I have a 500w Blue Storm II and its pretty much maxed out(Im using an ATi Radeon 5870 with it.) Or its my motherboard that drops voltages? Maybe a new PSU will fix this issue?
Could be. You do have a 5870 + an OC'd CPU. Either way, I wouldn't expect much more out of it unless you really wanna pump some volts through it, and even then, the heat isn't worth it. Sell the Q9400 and pick up something like a Q9550 if you're seriously wanting some speed.

Even my QX6850 (65nm Chip) pulls more Gigaflops clock for clock compared to my Q9400. At 3.6GHz, my QX6850 pulls almost 50GPs, and my Q9400 at 3.6GHz would pull 44GPs MAX!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got 44Gflops @ 3.2ghz and I havent had any trouble with CPU heat, its just so unstable

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Klapp
View Post

I got 44Gflops @ 3.2ghz and I havent had any trouble with CPU heat, its just so unstable

Yes, but you're not pushing the volts like I said. Bump your volts and get it stable, and then decide whether the cost-benefit ratio is worth it to you.

Like we have all said, its NOT the *greatest* OC'er, but you're getting 800MHz for free right now, so thats nothing to balk at!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts