Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a Q9450 at 3.5-3.6 ghz beat a corei7 920 and core i7 940 if they were running at stock (default) speeds?

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well say 3d mark 06 or even vantage

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Probably. But the Core i7 will outperform in places where it's 8 threads come in use.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Maybe, maybe not.
You can however get the I7's "pretty high" with stock coolers.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
was thinking of upgrading but not sure if it worth it.My computer seems bloody fast enough as it is.There is definately a big increase in speed when I have overclocked the Q9450.Still a decent cpu in this day and age right

·
15,778 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brythe
View Post

Probably. But the Core i7 will outperform in places where it's 8 threads come in use.

You mean when the program is optimized for both 4 cores and HT...

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pm1109
View Post

was thinking of upgrading but not sure if it worth it.My computer seems bloody fast enough as it is.There is definately a big increase in speed when I have overclocked the Q9450.Still a decent cpu in this day and age right

Keep what you have, it's not worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
On a different, yet important note, I should let you know that the BigWater LCS you're sporting will eventually leak, and take that precious system along with it into the depths of hardware hell. For real.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Do not go with an I7 system over your current processor. I am running a Q9450 @ 3.7 and it chews up everything I throw at it. To be completely honest with you the I7 is not needed for present day apps. You are never going to use it all and they run hotter than hell. Most of the time, unless you are going to run it at stock, (and why would you) your going to need something more than air to cool it. The Q9450 is still above the par right now as far as processors are concerned. Most people are still running 6600 and tearing things up. You will be good with that processor for a year or more.

Also remember, most applications and games aren't even configured to use all 4 cores. Just sit back and wait for the I7 prices to fall.

·
Banned
3,183 Posts
I did a quick match on unreal tournament game first 1 to reach 20 kills with my rig. I did 20-0 with no death. I notice that I can circle around them and kill them with no problem, I was like prolly their a having lag problems. Then I chat on one of the guys then asked him what systems does he have, he said I7 then I log out lol.

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweex
View Post

To be completely honest with you the I7 is not needed for present day apps. You are never going to use it all

That's not entirely correct.

Quote:

View Post

and they run hotter than hell.... your going to need something more than air to cool it.

No, the i7 920 is one of the few processors (along with the Q9650/Q9550 E0 and PhII 940) that can hit 4Ghz+ speeds on AIR. For a quad, thats quite a feat.

Quote:

View Post

The Q9450 is still above the par right now as far as processors are concerned.

No. On average Q9450s hit 3.6Ghz, which is the same with Q6600s. So price wise it's not above anything.

Quote:

View Post

Also remember, most applications and games aren't even configured to use all 4 cores. Just sit back and wait for the I7 prices to fall.

Most applications and games will be configured use all 4 cores in the very near future. GTA 4 already is.

·
Registered
340 Posts
i7 prices won't fall. Intel has positioned them as the enthusiast line. we will always pay a premium for it - much like the extreeme models of previous generations. In fact I read on OCN that the badge for all 3 i7's is going black.

to your question...
my opinion - i7 for top of line performance or wait till Q2 2010 for the 6 core 32nm brother.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Yea, Core i7's are pretty much the new future. I've heard games being able to run better if you overclock it up to at least 4GHz. By the time 8-core processors go mainstream, I'm sure the QX9450 would have been outdated by then, due to the fast movement of the computer world.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brythe
View Post

On a different, yet important note, I should let you know that the BigWater LCS you're sporting will eventually leak, and take that precious system along with it into the depths of hardware hell. For real.

In 2 years I have not had a single problem.What do you reccomend I get than?

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Better alternatives to a Thermaltake LCS:
- TRUE in push-pull
- Custom watercooling. Buy the parts separate and make your own watercooling system. It's much easier than it sounds, specially since you already have experience with liquid cooling. If you decide to do this, post in the WC section for suggestions on what parts you'll need and what's best for your buck.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.