Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Old to Overclock.net
210 Posts
Sounds sweet!

Keep stressing it and see if it is completely stable.. If so, congrats dude! you got yourself a really good chip there!

I'm curious, what stepping? E0?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, e0 stepping, but I know a 1.2375 is not considered a very desirable VID for these chips, that's why I'm surprised at how easily it's gotten up there. All I've changed is manually setting the Vcore to 1.2375, changed the rest manually (but still on their defaults).

You should have seen the look I got from the guy @ microcenter when I asked him to wait while I checked and made sure the batch number was good.

·
Old to Overclock.net
210 Posts
Quote:

You should have seen the look I got from the guy @ microcenter when I asked him to wait while I checked and made sure the batch number was good.

Hehe

I'm upgrading my system first thing after the holidays, and I'm also getting a Q9550.
I'll make damn sure mine is a E0 as well

If the stepping isn't stated by the retailer, what batch number to look for? is there a specific batch series that's sure to be E0's?
This info will be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthWoodPecker
View Post

Hehe

I'm upgrading my system first thing after the holidays, and I'm also getting a Q9550.
I'll make damn sure mine is a E0 as well

If the stepping isn't stated by the retailer, what batch number to look for? is there a specific batch series that's sure to be E0's?
This info will be very much appreciated.

It's not batch number, but make sure on the back it says either "Slb8v or SLB9V, they are both gaurunteed e0 steppings" Batch number is another piece of information that can help, but far less relevant than aforementioned codes.

·
Old to Overclock.net
210 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamcrackuh
View Post

It's not batch number, but make sure on the back it says either "Slb8v or SLB9V, they are both gaurunteed e0 steppings" Batch number is another piece of information that can help, but far less relevant than aforementioned codes.

Thank you very much for clarifying that Grahamcrackuh, and also for the link you PMed me.
That's very helpful!

Good luck pushing it to the max

Cheers, and rep+

/Nwp

·
Registered
121 Posts
Have you tried playng crysis or any other high end game with those settings? I found that I could get 4ghz with stock stable with prime but when tyring to game it would blue screen and restart.

·
Old to Overclock.net
210 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelecevic
View Post

Have you tried playng crysis or any other high end game with those settings? I found that I could get 4ghz with stock stable with prime but when tyring to game it would blue screen and restart.

In that case, did you test your RAM? memtest86 from boot up for example.

It could be your RAM failing and causing BSOD, not necessarily the CPU. - Just a thought

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hey btw, if this does seem to be stable at stock then why arent you pushing this thing further? lol this is OCN after all. Lets see how far you can push this puppy!

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
+1 for Intel Burn Test.

It stresses the CPU/RAM more than Prime or OCCT in my opinion (just when looking at temps) but it does it in "packs" so the system isn't stressed 100% of the time.

5 Runs on IBT and your system is probably stable. 25 Runs and its very stable and if your crazy about stability, 75 runs (about an hour) should be more than anything you would encounter while gaming.

*Edit

Maybe the BIOS is showing your VID incorrectly? Maybe it actually is lower than 1.2375 (which would be more in line with most E0 chips) - My Q runs at 4.0Ghz with just 0.0125 more vcore (1.25 in bios). I might try stressing it at 1.2375 and see how it does.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not pushing it further because my heatsink needs a reseat first. I'll be doing that very soon, just got back from picking up some AS5, I was HORRIBLY dissappointed in the cooler master silicon paste.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamcrackuh View Post
I'm not pushing it further because my heatsink needs a reseat first. I'll be doing that very soon, just got back from picking up some AS5, I was HORRIBLY dissappointed in the cooler master silicon paste.
I would have gone with MX-2 or IC Diamond as they don't need to cure for 200 thermal cycles and are non-conductive. >.>

But since you've already got the AS5 - it'll be ok.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slider46 View Post
I would have gone with MX-2 or IC Diamond as they don't need to cure for 200 thermal cycles and are non-conductive. >.>

But since you've already got the AS5 - it'll be ok.
AS5 is nonconductive too
. Read my thread "Guide to cleaning motherboard pins", you'll be surprised. http://www.overclock.net/general-cpu...-cpu-pins.html

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slider46
View Post

+1 for Intel Burn Test.

It stresses the CPU/RAM more than Prime or OCCT in my opinion (just when looking at temps) but it does it in "packs" so the system isn't stressed 100% of the time.

5 Runs on IBT and your system is probably stable. 25 Runs and its very stable and if your crazy about stability, 75 runs (about an hour) should be more than anything you would encounter while gaming.

*Edit

Maybe the BIOS is showing your VID incorrectly? Maybe it actually is lower than 1.2375 (which would be more in line with most E0 chips) - My Q runs at 4.0Ghz with just 0.0125 more vcore (1.25 in bios). I might try stressing it at 1.2375 and see how it does.

See Bold and Underline. It's safest to use a combination of tests. LinX or IBT and Prime95 and Memtest86.

If I didn't experience my E8400, 100 passed IBT, but 15min failed Prime95 I would not say this.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flyin15sec
View Post

See Bold and Underline. It's safest to use a combination of tests. LinX or IBT and Prime95 and Memtest86.

If I didn't experience my E8400, 100 passed IBT, but 15min failed Prime95 I would not say this.

if it passes IBT then the CPU is stable, if it fails prime, it could also be ram related.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts