Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, whats the max voltage i can pump tough my q9550?

also for those of you with a nvidia chipset , could you please pose your OC settings?

aand at last. my q9550 has a 1.2250 VID, i have not managet to get it stable at 4ghz, but i know my board will do 1935 FSB so its not the limiting factor.

mostly it crashes after 25 minutes priming

temps are always below 54C.

any help will be much apreciated and as always REP+ for those that deserve

thanks again

EDIT: i dont care if my cpu dies with high voltage, as long as i can keep it for 1 year a least; its fine with me

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by qaz393 View Post
anything below 1.45 Vcore is fine a 45nm intel
i have been benching @ 4ghz @ 1.312 after vdrop llc disabled, i am not sure how much more ill need to stay stable.

whats the max VTT and pll ?

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
I would have LLC enabled in order to stop the vdroop that is killing your overclock. Like has been said 1.45v is the absolute max for a 45nm CPU. With VTT, the max is 1.45v that should take you all the way to 2000qdr+ (500FSB). For PLL, I wouldn't go over 1.70v as an absolute max. I haven't really found that PLL helps much though so I would keep it lower and try upping it at different points to see if it makes a difference. If not drop it back.

Something to keep in mind: With the 790i boards, you absolutely want to keep a 2:1 ratio of DRAM:FSB to get decent performance out of the ram. You probablly already know that the white ram slots are designed to run at faster speeds. So at 4.0ghz (470x8.5) you would want the ram to be at 940:470. Since this is double data rate the ram is actually running at 1880mhz. Since this is actually an overclock for your ram, I would drop it down to complete stock timings and speed, while overclocking the CPU. No matter what you want the CPU at its top speed regardless of what the ram can do.

I have a feeling that enabling LLC will cause your overclock to start to stabilize a little easier. I would use LinX instead of Prime95 Small FTTs, because it will error out faster. 10 runs using 2048mb of ram is fine and then try a higher speed. Just this flow of LinX Pass, increase speed or if fails increase vcore and retest will speed things up.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenInferno View Post
I would have LLC enabled in order to stop the vdroop that is killing your overclock. Like has been said 1.45v is the absolute max for a 45nm CPU. With VTT, the max is 1.45v that should take you all the way to 2000qdr+ (500FSB). For PLL, I wouldn't go over 1.70v as an absolute max. I haven't really found that PLL helps much though so I would keep it lower and try upping it at different points to see if it makes a difference. If not drop it back.

Something to keep in mind: With the 790i boards, you absolutely want to keep a 2:1 ratio of DRAM:FSB to get decent performance out of the ram. You probablly already know that the white ram slots are designed to run at faster speeds. So at 4.0ghz (470x8.5) you would want the ram to be at 940:470. Since this is double data rate the ram is actually running at 1880mhz. Since this is actually an overclock for your ram, I would drop it down to complete stock timings and speed, while overclocking the CPU. No matter what you want the CPU at its top speed regardless of what the ram can do.

I have a feeling that enabling LLC will cause your overclock to start to stabilize a little easier. I would use LinX instead of Prime95 Small FTTs, because it will error out faster. 10 runs using 2048mb of ram is fine and then try a higher speed. Just this flow of LinX Pass, increase speed or if fails increase vcore and retest will speed things up.

cool ill try this in a minute i just finished work and i live 10 minutes from here , so ill try and post back with results

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Something else to add that I forgot. Using LinX for 10 runs put's you in the "I'm pretty stable but maybe not 100% stable" category. It's useful for quickly climbing the overclock ladder and keeping the vcore you need approximately with the FSB you're running. After you find you can't go any higher due to temps (not likely) or you're at 1.45v, then I would do a 50-100set run of LinX followed by 12hrs of Prime95 Small FTTs just to be safe. 10 runs is close but not ussually perfect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts