Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, seems like my chip should be a decent clocker. I got 4Ghz with 1.31v stable(20 IBT/24hr prime). It's been that way for about a month, now I'd love to go further. I'm shooting for 500fsb x 8.5. The rig boots to windows at 1.31vcore @4.25ghz, it even runs a few minutes of prime95.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1093013 - Validation

As soon as I run ibt the system does a complete lockup, can't move the mouse, ctl alt delete, or anything, I have to manually shut it down. My current volts are at 1.31vcore(1.3375 in bios), 1.3 VTT(fsb term), and 1.3 northbridge(mch core). I've tried messing with voltages in all combinations, I've had the vcore at 1.37 and vtt at 1.34 and still get the same lockup on IBT and everyone once and a while a bluescreen instead of a lock up. My ram is at its rated 5-5-5-15 @ 942mhz(rated for 1066) and at 2.1v.

Any tips on how I can clock this further? I can get into windows no problem @4.25ghz 1.31vcore, I feel it should be able to go farther with reasonable voltages.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Needs more VTT or NB, maybe a 1.40 or 1.45 for the NB to get that sucker going.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
If I remember correctly when I had my Q9550 I hit a FSB wall at 500. I had to drastically increase voltages in order to get over that hump. If my memory serves me I was pushing the neighborhood of 1.4X for my vCore and 1.35-1.4 on VTT/NB.

The chip can take it, I had mine running at those voltages for more than 6 months with not so much a hiccup.

During my OC attempts with my Q9550 I was using an EVGA 799i Ultra and hit 4.3 as my high mark on that specific chip.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Go back to your stable settings, and try raising the FSB in small amounts (maybe 5-10mhz). When it becomes unstable, give it some more Vcore and NB voltage (IDK about P45, but X48 can take 1.4+ volts for higher FSB's).

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try it all, I've got the day off. How much VTT and northbridge can the chip take reasonably for 24/7 use? Also, my temps top out at around 72c maximum stress with IBT which I think is reasonable(about 62c for prime small FFTs). What is acceptable for IBT as far as temps go for a Q9550?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The maximum thermal limit specified by Intel is 72C on the Q9550. Considering you hit that temp with IBT you should be fine since under normal operating procedures you will never see those temps/loads.

As for the max VTT/NB voltages I would stay south of 1.45 for 24/7 use.

A word of warning, however, when clocking to these speeds and using these voltage you could fry your chip. I am by no means saying you will but I have seen Core 2's die under less strenuous conditions.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltar
View Post

The maximum thermal limit specified by Intel is 72C on the Q9550. Considering you hit that temp with IBT you should be fine since under normal operating procedures you will never see those temps/loads.

As for the max VTT/NB voltages I would stay south of 1.45 for 24/7 use.

A word of warning, however, when clocking to these speeds and using these voltage you could fry your chip. I am by no means saying you will but I have seen Core 2's die under less strenuous conditions.

Are you speaking of the VTT and northbridge volts? My Vcore is WELL below intel spec and maximum volts @ 1.31. I'm idling at 32c and maxing at 64x prime/72c IBT. I surely do not want to fry my chip, but it's my understanding that clock speed will not kill a chip, only overvolting, temps, and long running instability can hurt them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts