Overclock.net banner

Q9550/Q9650 or i7 920? or 285GTX

3549 Views 21 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  Pouleterie
Im trying to make up my mind.What should i do.Is it worth getting a i7 920. Or should i just get a Q9550 or Q9650 and OC them to death.I do game a good bit but i like benchmark runs to.But i mainly use my PC for gaming and burning music and movies and of course browsing.So i dont need that much power.But its always nice to have.Plus i have my Xbox for gaming.Or maybe i should just get a GTX285
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
If you want to spend the money you may as well go for the i7. You should be able to get at least 3.8 on it if not higher. There isnt much of a gain between a 285 and a 260 but it is a nice card.
EVGA 285 is my personal favorite. I would recommend it
See less See more
Get a Q9650 and stick with the 260's in SLI. If money isn't an issue then you might as well just go all out with the i7, SLI GTX 285's, and blow the wad... yay!
Comes down to whether you have money you want to spend how much.
i7 is gonna cost you alot considering you need a new mobo and new ram. a gtx 285 isnt worth it because your sli 260s can outperform them now. I would consider getting a Q9650, you should be able to hit 4.0ghz with ease.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Choppah4 View Post
Get a Q9650 and stick with the 260's in SLI. If money isn't an issue then you might as well just go all out with the i7, SLI GTX 285's, and blow the wad... yay!
+1
See less See more
just get a Q9650 - it'll be fine for what you want to do

that said your current PC should be fine for gaming.
Well to tell the truth i would not waist money now in these small upgrades which at most will give u no more then 20% increase in performance a lot less mosny in your wallet.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
Well to tell the truth i would not waist money now in these small upgrades which at most will give u no more then 20% increase in performance a lot less mosny in your wallet.
Perhaps, but with an SLI setup your gaming/graphics/etc. all becomes limited by the CPU. The extra 8MB in cache and possibility of 4GHz+ will be a pretty good increase for a little over $300...

err, 6MB in cache, eh? lol
See less See more
go with the q9650. You will be over to oc it to 4ghz, and sli 260's are still a great setup.
http://techreport.com/articles.x/16229/7

edit: what is the point of going form a q9550 to a q9650? what kind of gains are you looking for?
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoth17 View Post
go with the q9650. You will be over to oc it to 4ghz, and sli 260's are still a great setup.
http://techreport.com/articles.x/16229/7

edit: what is the point of going form a q9550 to a q9650? what kind of gains are you looking for?
Well he has a Q9400 right now, so he'll see a nice gain. My Q9550 has been sold to my friend and I'm ordering a Q9650 to replace it. I'm just hoping for a low VID and hitting 4GHz under 1.35V
See less See more
2 260's SLI'ed beats a single GTX 285 by a lot.
I saw get an i7 920, and then eventually get a GTX 285 SLI setup.
A Q9650 is guaranteed to give you 4ghz on air cooling. To get an i7 to do 4ghz on air, hyperthreading should be disabled to keep temps down.

I had the same decision to make and haven't regretted going with the Q9650. As mentioned above ram needs to be changed and the i7 boards are pricey.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robilar View Post
A Q9650 is guaranteed to give you 4ghz on air cooling. To get an i7 to do 4ghz on air, hyperthreading should be disabled to keep temps down.

I had the same decision to make and haven't regretted going with the Q9650. As mentioned above ram needs to be changed and the i7 boards are pricey.
^Agreed.

I toyed with the idea of going i7 when I was selling my Q6700 not too long ago. And then like 5 minutes later I realized that it wasn't worth blowing that kind of cash on a new motherboard, RAM and CPU for something that wasn't an amazing improvement. I just got a Q9650 and couldn't be happier they OC extremely well.

Also your GTX 260's are just fine. Unless you're going to be SLI'ing some 280/285's I wouldn't bother because the 260 SLI setup is monstrous as it is.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by 10acjed View Post
sli'd 260's are better than a 285. Get a q9650 and clock it to 4.0 or better

+1
See less See more
Forget the Q9650. E0 Q9550's overclock just as well and cost a lot less. Plus a fantastic overclocking board (UD3P) will cost less than half of what an i7 board costs.

However, seeing as how you already have DDR3, i7 might be the best path to go down...
I say q9650 it only 45 more then q9550 on newegg you wont be disappointed I bought mine for near 500 and havent ever looked back
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.