Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
EDIT:

Im not sure what kind of overclock ur motherboard will handle.. id assume 3.5-3.6 is feasible, but you'd need to spend a little on a aftermarket cooler like a 212+.

I would do that and wait for sandybridge cpus.

·
PC Evangelist
47,391 Posts
I think its a good idea because not only i5 is faster clock per clock but now you will have a MB that can overclock and more ram so yes sell them before Q9550 drops in price.

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
While you will see an increase in performance, it won't be significant enough to warrant the price paid (i went from 775 to 1156 on second pc). Either spend a bit more and get 1366 (i7) or wait out for newer architecture and price drops or something.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by enri95 View Post
Ok , but I won't be able to sell my stuff for 250$ at that time in the future
Most decent desktops, provided they are not Extreme Over Clocked, will last a very long time, it wouldn't make sense to Upgrade from a C2Q to an i5-750/760, when you could just use the money to get a better graphics card/PSU to prevent bottle necking if your gaming.

If your not planning on gaming, and you want the best chip for the money, i5-760 is a great deal, Hyper-Threading is not really needed unless your folding, or doing a massive amount of compression or CPU intensive task.

However, like those above you stated the difference between the C2Q and the i5 will be barely noticeable, however, if you add the overclocking factor, the difference is a little more substantial & definitely noticeable.

You have to look at your "Plan" with your CPU or System (overall build) and build based upon your intended needs & desires rather than just buying a board to Over Clock. If the Core 2 Quad isn't serving your needs, then upgrade, definitely, however, unless you need hyper threading, the i7's are overkill, the i5-760 would serve your purpose just fine.

First ask yourself: "Do I need to upgrade my CPU or my MB?" or "Do I need to upgrade my Graphics Card & PSU?"

I'll bet the answer lays with your GPU/PSU or Mother Board (In the case of OCing).

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Tough call actually.

On one hand it's not a massive leap forward (I had a Q9650 rig before this), but it's definitely better.
On the other hand, your board can't OC worth a tinker's dam AND you need more RAM too...

Whatever is cheaper at this point would make most sense to me; we're not too far off from new sockets from both Intel and AMD...
Look for a decent 775 OCing board and RAM used (likely the cheapest route).

Also in regards to some of the "go i7" comments; no benefit there for gaming unless you really need the PCI bandwidth from the X58 chipset.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by candy_van View Post
Tough call actually.

On one hand it's not a massive leap forward (I had a Q9650 rig before this), but it's definitely better.
On the other hand, your board can't OC worth a tinker's dam AND you need more RAM too...

Whatever is cheaper at this point would make most sense to me; we're not too far off from new sockets from both Intel and AMD...
Look for a decent 775 OCing board and RAM used (likely the cheapest route).

Also in regards to some of the "go i7" comments; no benefit there for gaming unless you really need the PCI bandwidth from the X58 chipset.

Maybe so but what if hes not just gaming?

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pancing View Post
Maybe so but what if hes not just gaming?
Then he should consider it if it's needed; as implied in my previous post...

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
NO, i5 is not that much faster than Q9x50, just stick with what you have. i7 will be noticeably faster in things that use more than 4 threads, other than that, its not worth upgrading.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmp459
View Post

EDIT:

Im not sure what kind of overclock ur motherboard will handle.. id assume 3.5-3.6 is feasible, but you'd need to spend a little on a aftermarket cooler like a 212+.

I would do that and wait for sandybridge cpus.

^what he said, i would keep your current cpu, maybe buy a better motherboard and better memory. then just overclock the hell out of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts