Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I got a free Q9550 (with Zalman cooler) with P5Q3-DELUXE from upgrading a clients system. With those also came: 4GB DDR3 (4x1GB Corsair DHX), an OCZ 700W Modstream Pro (550W 12V) and 2 older WD drives (500GB Blue & 500GB Black).

I'm not sure what do with it.

I can go down 2 routes:
1) Sell it. In this case I'd overclock the CPU to something close of 4GHz, upgrade the RAM to 8GB and look for a good deal on a second hand GPU. Then sell the system locally as a refurbished mid-range gaming PC.
Also: what kind of GPU can I throw into this without creating too much CPU bottleneck (take in account I will overclock) and without putting the system at risk with the very mediocre power supply?

2) Use it myself as a server I was half planning to build. The board has dual Gb NICs and even integrated wifi. While the board only has a SATA 2 interface, it does come with 10 ports. I'd probably down-clock the CPU to make it more power efficient and cooler and add RAM (8 or 16GB total).

Opinions on these ideas?
rolleyes.gif

Either way, I'm gonna need to add new RAM. The mobo's last update dates from 2009. I have no idea on what this system will work with.
Any ideas on what I should look out for?

-Xioros

·
Registered
166 Posts
1. Q9550 is a sweet chip. @ 4GHz, you can probably throw a second hand 770 or 780Ti and it would be fine. My rig is old Q6600 @ 3.5 GHz with 760 and does not bottleneck at all. Note that there is a difference between "bottleneck" and actual performance in games. The former is for instance CPU is working 100% while GPU is capped at 80%; the latter is there is increase in performance from CPU-intensive tasks such as compiling code.

I would find a decent 4GB GPU and then sell it. It's gonna still out-perform console and the user can enjoy games which allows players to mod them.

2. Don't know much about servers so can't give you a technical advice but an economic one
wink.gif
. Unless you have a clear purpose of building one, I think this investment might be a waste of time and resource. You just don't want to have a hardware laying around in the house and don't actually use it.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I'd say use it as a server CPU so you can play with it in the future.

I think it'd be risky to overclock it to 4.0GHz and then sell it to someone - if the buyer is not overclocking savy, and the chip gets fried from the higher voltage/higher temperatures, you'll have to deal with buyer's wrath. And you'll have to get a better air cooler even if the voltage & temperatures are manageable.

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescreendeath View Post

I'd say use it as a server CPU so you can play with it in the future.

I think it'd be risky to overclock it to 4.0GHz and then sell it to someone - if the buyer is not overclocking savy, and the chip gets fried from the higher voltage/higher temperatures, you'll have to deal with buyer's wrath. And you'll have to get a better air cooler even if the voltage & temperatures are manageable.
I already have a NAS I would ditch then. I would still need a new case though.

Well, If I'm selling it, I'd OC it to something like 3.6-3.8. The maximum I can get with this cooler and safe voltage.
And add a disclaimer if the ad.

So that wouldn't be an issue.

Parts I'm looking into to pair it with:
Corsair SPEC-01
2x4 GB Crucial Ballistics Sport (compatible according to Crucial)
Second hand R9-290

I'd be spending around 250-ish on new parts and I'm gonna try to sell the complete rig as a second hand game PC for something like €500-550

Update
Found a deal for an ASUS R9-280X DC2 for just €110 shipped. I think I'm just going to sell the system as a whole. Could easily yield me above €250 profit
thumb.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts