Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Iv been having problems getting my Q9650 to overclock on my Asrock N7AD-SLI motherboard and was hoping someone could help me out a bit. I want to get it to 3.6ghz.
It was running under Prime for around 3 and a half hours when the computer hung, no blue screen or anything. It was just completely unresponsive.
Here's what it looked like at the time. My Vcore voltage was at 1.29375V.

Is this usually caused by one of the voltages being too low? Because it didnt fail any of the tests on Prime before it froze .

Here's the rest of the voltages from the Bios.

Other than that Iv got 8Gb of ddr2 ram at 800mhz.

Thanks

·
Leader of the #1 [email protected] Team
5,006 Posts
Well your Vcore is a tad low. Try 1.35. Are you running your RAM close or below 800? And TBH, i don't think ASROCK is the best mobo for OC Quads lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ol I'll try increasing the Vcore then. What about the GTL Ref Voltage? Iv got the options of low, medium and high. The rams at 800mhz. 1:1 with the FSB which is at 400mhz.
Ya I know they probably arnt the best but this is what iv got and I just wanted to see if it was possible first.

·
5,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre66 View Post

Ol I'll try increasing the Vcore then. What about the GTL Ref Voltage? Iv got the options of low, medium and high. The rams at 800mhz. 1:1 with the FSB which is at 400mhz.
Ya I know they probably arnt the best but this is what iv got and I just wanted to see if it was possible first.
Medium sounds good. and yea, Vcore to 1.35-1.375V and the MCH to 1.3V and the VTT..1.4V

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is a VTT of 1.4V not a bit high for that chip. Iv heard bad things happening to people who pushed the VTT Voltage high on 45nm Cpu's
The Chipset Voltage also has set values. For example it goes 1.11V, 1.23v, 1.36V, 1.48V.
Will I just set 1.36V since it was on 1.23V before.

·
5,006 Posts
Well 1.3 if u wanna be safer. and okay 1.36 if good, all the Mobo's i have had has more exact voltage control
smile.gif

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok this time worker one or Core 0 failed the prime test after 37 minutes. It said "hardware failure detected"

Here's what it looked like

The voltages at the time were.
Vcore: 1.35V
Dram: 1.85V
VTT: 1.30V
Chipset: 1.23V
GTLRef: Middle

Should the GTLRef Voltage be at High? Im not really sure what the setting does but before when it was on auto the test didnt fail for 3 hours but then the computer froze. At least its failing the Prime test and not freezing the computer now.

·
5,006 Posts
Need more Vcore.

And if you want, you can bump it to High. <<At your own risk.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More Vcore than1.35V?

Iv read that GTLRef Voltage doesnt actually damage the cpu at any level, just causes instability. Are Vtt and GTLRef related, does one effect the other? I was reading on another form where someone said that.

·
5,006 Posts
Well with OC everything is a risk. Yea put it on High and VTT does have to do with the CPU, and so they might make the OC better.

Yes move Vcore up one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well there must be a certain point which is still within safe settings. Intel suggests not pushing the VID Voltage on this Cpu past 1.3625 so I'm not going to do that and I dont think I'd need to push it past that either since a lot of these CPU's are perfectly stable under 1.3V @3.6ghz.

The temperatures are all under 50C at full load under Prime95 so I wont have to worry about the temperatures damaging anything.

Another thing I had forgot to do was disable the Cpu spread spectrum. Would that have effected the stability much?

·
5,006 Posts
Safe? Trust me, their is only "Safer", the only thing that is Safe is stock lol

Well taking Vdroop into account if you bump up Vcore after OS load it will be below the Limit
smile.gif

So bump up Vcore one more time...in VISTA on CPU-Z it should be at or below your limit due to Vdroop and if the OC is not stable then...well you will have to go down on the OC
smile.gif

And some CPU's don't OC the same
smile.gif
All CPU's are different my friend so yours might not be stable at 1.3...

But anyways bottom line, increase Vcore one more time, if that doesn't work...you might have to settle with 3.4Ghz
smile.gif

And yes 50C is fine, but the lower the better lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok thanks, I appreciate the advice and help
smile.gif
I'll do some tinkering and see how I get on. I'll post back my results later.

·
5,006 Posts
Okay sounds good, Happy OCing and Good Luck
smile.gif

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just thought I'd give an update it's been running stable under Prime for 7 and a half hours now
biggrin.gif

Thats 3 hours longer than it ever has!

I think I know what the problem was, I hadn't disabled PCI, Sata or Cpu spread spectrum so that might have been causing the instability.

Anyway my Voltages at the minute are
Vcore: 1.30V
VTT: 1.25V
Chipset: 1.23V
GTLRef: Middle
DRAM: 1.85V

Temperatures haven't gone over 54 in the last 7 and a half hours and their usually in the mid 40's
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
3.6 is nothing for your chip, my 9550 is doing 4.3 on only 1.36 (BIOS) VCore and it could do 3.6 on something like low 1.2s.

1: Switch to OCCT for now. OCCT is a much better (more sensitive) CPU test.
2: 740i is not a great overclocking platform, but it should be good for 400FSB with your chip I'd think. NVidia in general are not good with Core 2 quads.
3: First thing I'd start playing with on your setup is chipset voltage. Bump to 1.25 and see if it improves. Make sure the NB is getting air, NVidia NBs are hot as hell.

Don't start going crazy with VCore and definitely not with VTT. 400 is not a high FSB so you really shouldn't need to touch GTLs.

*Edit* Sorry didn't see your last post. Yea always disable spread spectrum.

I'd work on lowering your VCore.

·
5,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thAche View Post

3.6 is nothing for your chip, my 9550 is doing 4.3 on only 1.36 (BIOS) VCore and it could do 3.6 on something like low 1.2s.
2: 740i is not a great overclocking platform, but it should be good for 400FSB with your chip I'd think. NVidia in general are not good with Core 2 quads.
3: First thing I'd start playing with on your setup is chipset voltage. Bump to 1.25 and see if it improves. Make sure the NB is getting air, NVidia NBs are hot as hell.
Don't start going crazy with VCore and definitely not with VTT. 400 is not a high FSB so you really shouldn't need to touch GTLs.
^I Second that, but 3.6 is a good start
smile.gif

·
Reject the system
1,555 Posts
Quote:

This guy knows his ****. Still remember him from helping me OC my q9450 on my ep45-ud3p back in the day. Got over 500fsb with his help - with all 4 DIMM slots filled none the less!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Well Worker 1 on Prime95 failed at 11:55 minutes, the rest of the cores all kept going till I stopped them around 15 and a half hours. Worker Always fails, the other core's hardly ever do and if they do it would usually be after Worker 1. 338

The thing about north bridge voltages is that I can only increase it in set values. The next value would be 1.36V. It has a passive aluminium heat sink and after the tests it was hot but not unbearably so, I was thinking about maybe fitting a small 40mm fan to it with cable ties.

-Daniel

1 - 20 of 64 Posts