Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok today i went to my local cpu store and while i was jus looking around i decided to purchase a q9650, it comes stock 3.0ghz, but i have a water cooling system and before i had the e8400 overclocked from 3.0 to 4.0ghz, im currently overclocking this quad core to 4.0ghz but i have the vcore set to 1.4000 voltage right now, i read somewhere else that they think 1.3 or something is the highest needed but it seemed for me i had to put it at 1.4000 to keep my system stable , my memory is ddr2 for now and its set at 800mhz unlinked fsb which is 1780.... soon im going to buy a 790i and some pc 2000mhz ram but for now im sticking with this, my main question is does anyone know whats the highest you can unlinked clock this quad core with my ddrpc6400, im looking to pass the 4.0ghz mark if possible just because i love high speed, i have a tempeture monitor installed so i always watch my temps but if someone wants to leave me a setup that includes voltage for, cpu / ram and then the fsb setting for pushing my quad core to the limits, please do oh and let me know whats the highest cpu temp celsius i should see before geting worried, thank you..ill be testing higher settings while i wait for a response, also i have a xfx 780i motherboard

sorry for the wall of text but i had to put as much info as i could for better results, ty

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
u have a cpu store? thats kool

but anyway clock for clock in games they will be the same

• Rep+
Reactions: biueprint

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
also is 1.4volts to high to be setting my quad core. someone let me know asap if you read this and have knowledge, im ugnna lower it back down for now till i get some aswer

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you know whats weird , i ran my 3dmark vantage test and i got a lower score then with my e8400 overclocked, i also had the q9650 overclocked from 3.0 to 4.0ghz so whats up with that? honestly i just went to the store and paid for a quad core vs's my dual core because i wanted to actually 'SEE' some upgraded speed but so far the e8400 oc'd was putin out about the same results as my quad.. if anyone can msg me back let me know about any past experience with not much results goin from a core 2 duo to quad core, basically the highest quad core on the market to, let me know whats up.. im learnin alout about overclocking and im addicted to computer speed right now.. if anyone

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry didnt finish the thread before i posted it, my two sons are runing around crazy right now its driving me nuts but my wife is home now im back at the cpu, anyways im lookin for some solid answers on the dual vs quad upgrade and why my fps in games and 3dmark vantage scores got lower with my quad, msg me up please im thinkin i might have some settings wrong or something else in my computer is bottlenecking my cpu

ty - chris

·
Premium Member
6,125 Posts
Also, there's something called an "Edit" button. It eliminates the need for triple posts in 10 minutes.

~Gooda~

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by biueprint View Post
ok today i went to my local cpu store and while i was jus looking around i decided to purchase a q9650, it comes stock 3.0ghz, but i have a water cooling system and before i had the e8400 overclocked from 3.0 to 4.0ghz, im currently overclocking this quad core to 4.0ghz but i have the vcore set to 1.4000 voltage right now, i read somewhere else that they think 1.3 or something is the highest needed but it seemed for me i had to put it at 1.4000 to keep my system stable , my memory is ddr2 for now and its set at 800mhz unlinked fsb which is 1780.... soon im going to buy a 790i and some pc 2000mhz ram but for now im sticking with this, my main question is does anyone know whats the highest you can unlinked clock this quad core with my ddrpc6400, im looking to pass the 4.0ghz mark if possible just because i love high speed, i have a tempeture monitor installed so i always watch my temps but if someone wants to leave me a setup that includes voltage for, cpu / ram and then the fsb setting for pushing my quad core to the limits, please do oh and let me know whats the highest cpu temp celsius i should see before geting worried, thank you..ill be testing higher settings while i wait for a response, also i have a xfx 780i motherboard

sorry for the wall of text but i had to put as much info as i could for better results, ty
Why get another nvidia motherboard if you dont have an sli setup. Intel-based boards are better for overclocking at all price points, I doubt anybody knowledgable would disagree with that. An intel board will definitely let you push that processor higher. The reason people get nvidia motherboards over an intel is because nvidia boards support sli for nvidia video cards. Otherwise, an intel in the same price range beats it like rock beats scissors. And just fyi, you cannot have two ATI video cards on a nvidia board, only intel boards support it.

As for core voltages, it is based off the same 45nm process as your old E8400, so it uses roughly the same voltages. 1.3625 is the limit Intel would say, but it is being pretty cautious. I ran my processor at 1.46v breifly, but you should stay under 1.4 for regular usage.

DDR3 2000 mhz ram is a little overboard, you can use DDR2 1066 mhz ram and be able to hit 4800 mhz on your processor before you start to overclock the ram.

At this point, I'd say that either your ram or your your motherboard is holding you back, not your processor. Ram doesn't tend to overclock as much as processors do.

Ideally your temperatures should be below 70* c, but lower is always better.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Havegooda View Post
Also, there's something called an "Edit" button. It eliminates the need for triple posts in 10 minutes.

~Gooda~
hey thanks for your input...really answered all my questions, your a a+ poster, thanks again. have a nice day

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by angrysasquatch View Post
Why get another nvidia motherboard if you dont have an sli setup. Intel-based boards are better for overclocking at all price points, I doubt anybody knowledgable would disagree with that. An intel board will definitely let you push that processor higher. The reason people get nvidia motherboards over an intel is because nvidia boards support sli for nvidia video cards. Otherwise, an intel in the same price range beats it like rock beats scissors. And just fyi, you cannot have two ATI video cards on a nvidia board, only intel boards support it.

As for core voltages, it is based off the same 45nm process as your old E8400, so it uses roughly the same voltages. 1.3625 is the limit Intel would say, but it is being pretty cautious. I ran my processor at 1.46v breifly, but you should stay under 1.4 for regular usage.

DDR3 2000 mhz ram is a little overboard, you can use DDR2 1066 mhz ram and be able to hit 4800 mhz on your processor before you start to overclock the ram.

At this point, I'd say that either your ram or your your motherboard is holding you back, not your processor. Ram doesn't tend to overclock as much as processors do.

Ideally your temperatures should be below 70* c, but lower is always better.
thank you, thats what i was trying to figure out mostly if ram would conflict with my overclocking my quads , because right now the tempetures are staying under 50c in video games overclocked to 4.0ghz, and i got 30 days to test this thing out as much as i want and if i blow it, i take it back and get a different one, so ill be pushing up to 4.8ghz, and might take your advice and just get some cheap 1066ram, its very cheap, but so is a 790i board right now and 2000mhz ram , but like you said its just overkill right now but hey its fun to overkill every now and them, hopefully some video games come out soon to push our cpus to the limits and be awesome looking

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
well.. i have the 750i FTW and I can run my Q9650 at 4.0 Ghz with 1.320v. it's set at 1.355v in BIOS. and that is completely stable..

what is the VID of your chip?? Core Temp will be able to tell you, get that program..

Most Q9650's can get 4.0 Ghz with less than 1.4v you should also have your fsb/vtt voltage around 1.35v for 4.0 Ghz also, as that will help when pushing your quad.

and something is not right, your dual at 4.0 and the quad at 4.0 will NOT get the same scores.. I used to get the same scores with my Quad at 4.0 Ghz as my buddy's e8600 at 4.5 Ghz or so.

the Q9650 is a great chip. you should keep it and just learn more for overclocking it. I'm thinking that 8GB of ram is struggling. as the Nvidia boards struggle to OC quads, and still run 8GB of ram. I'd get 4GB of some Quality 1066 Ram, or higher.. I'm currently running 4GB of the Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 C5D 1066 Mhz Ram, running at 1120 Mhz with me OC.

good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts