Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be able to get 21 poweredge 2950's soon here, for a reasonable price. What could it all of them be used for? At this many servers, power consumption may be a bit of an issue for me, so probably would need to run them for something that could make enough money to at least keep them running- any suggestions? I was maybe thinking web hosting or game hosting, any other ideas?

I could also pick up some old Proliant's as well with the poweredges... and i mean Pentium 3 old lol probably just part those ones out or recycle them.

I might end up parting them all out anyway but it would be cool to use them as servers for a a while, if it makes any sense to
tongue.gif

Thanks for input!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveManthe0ne View Post

What could it all of them be used for?
2 Space heaters per room? Door stops? Bed platform? Stack 8-10 of them for a side table?

Quote:

At this many servers, power consumption may be a bit of an issue for me[...]
These run around 300W/ea. A Dell R610 with dual L5640's and 96GB RAM will be around 125W. Assuming you're electricity rates are around 10 cents per kWh, it will cost you around $20-25/mo per server to run. That's not including additional costs to cool a server. If you ran 20 of these over the course of a month, it'll probably cost you $500.

Quote:

so probably would need to run them for something that could make enough money to at least keep them running- any suggestions?
Honestly, that's not going to happen. Your running costs will be way higher than the performance you can offer.

Even if you were getting 20 of these for $25 each, I'd highly recommend you look around at Dell R610's on ebay. Dual L5640's and 64GB RAM will run you $400-500, and provide you the performance of 3-4 of those 2950's. IMO, you should avoid anything that's not at least running DDR3 RAM (which those 2950's are not).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So its looking like I should just scrap most of them for parts and recycling then... Probably keep one or two around, just because.
I could sell them whole on eBay but shipping would be a bear
tongue.gif
Too bad they don't have more pcie, could use them for mining or whatever in that case lol.
I'll see if the seller will go low enough for me to be able to get all 21 of them ( and the 21 old Compaq's that I'll just recycle lol)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
21 Minecraft servers? XD!

·
Registered
743 Posts
honestly, I have a PE2900, and I honestly took the PERC 6i out of it and the rest has not been turned on for like a year, the power and heat is ridiculous, but if you have the modesl with perc 6i's, you can resell those for quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:

I just checked the prices of the Compaq Proliant ml370 on ebay... holy crap why are they worth $500 a piece? Pentium 3 rigs? Huh?
But might just keep a few of the poweredges and sell or recycle the rest... too much power use to be of any use xD
What people are asking for them and what they actually are selling for are two different things. I would check recently completed auctions to get a real idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts