Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

It's been a recent trend for users to post QR codes in their profile pictures. For those who do not know what a QR code is, here is an example:

The TOS states:

Quote:

||General Membership||

You may NOT:
-Post external links in your profile or signature

Now, QR codes can have simple text, sms messages and such. The general trend, however, is to put a URL in there. Since external URL's are not allowed, I figure this too should apply.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Since it's technically not a link, it doesn't break the rules, but it is on sketchy ground.
The only QR Code I've seen on here was in an avatar and that came up blank when I scanned it, but on the other hand, I don't usually check out profile pages.

It'd be interesting to see what the mods think of this, but personally, I vote to let them stay.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Nathris' avatar is the one I saw - it came up with a "A wild missingno appears". I assumed that was an error message xD

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by [Adz]
View Post

Nathris' avatar is the one I saw - it came up with a "A wild missingno appears". I assumed that was an error message xD

Nah, that's just text. One of the many uses of QR codes.

Also:
Found the user: SgtSpike a mod, mind you. External URL is in the QR code.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATFISH View Post
Be sure to report anything against the Terms of Service using the
button.
I don't see what you're trying to say. Yes, report bad stuff - we know this.

I'm asking if this is considered against the rules instead of at a moderator's discretion.

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
I think he is saying, report it so that more staff will notice this, as the reported post will go in the staff section, and that will give them a chance to discuss the matter.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GH0 View Post
I think he is saying, report it so that more staff will notice this, as the reported post will go in the staff section, and that will give them a chance to discuss the matter.
While this may be true (and I'm not trying to start an argument) he said against TOS. My question is: Is this against the TOS?

My

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
Sorry, it does appear I wasn't clear but the above posters hit it on the head. As for SgtSpike's link, that is his personal web page. He is a great musician. BUT, it could be construed as advertising and as such, should be reported. Will it be removed? Well, that's not quite up to me to decide but that is what I was getting at in the first place. QR codes themselves are not against the ToS but their contents may be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts