Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps, so got a tiny little niggle that I just gotta fix...
For my HTPC, I have an Antec Fusion Remote (sliver) case and the power LED has stopped working. On investigation looks like at some stage something fried and failed.

So the setup for the case has a molex with power coming from 12V rail down to some type of resistors (I can't distinguish the colour bands cause of some black sticky heatshrink, i'm guessing has melted a few times over cause that stuff just aint coming off), it then branches out to power two white LEDs, then return for earth.
Both the LEDs are blown and the resistors is useless... so looks like I need to replace the whole loom.

I don't particularly like the molex connector bit, I'd rather have the lights connected to the power led header on the mobo (GA-MA78GM-US2H), it's got both a message header and power led header which work basically the same in that they have the addtion of a blinking mode when the PC is in sleep.

I'm guessing the mobo headers only run on like 3 or 5V, I can check that once I find that damn multimeter in the shed. But in the interim, how should the re-wiring go?
As in if I just replace the LED's in the loom, bridge across the resistors, and snip the wires off the molex and put some (spare) header plugs on them, would that work?... As in if I'm running lower voltage led's do I need that resistors anyway?
Or the other option make two looms each with a single LED and header plugs, so each of them plugs onto the seperate header pins (msg & pwr) on the mobo?

The main conundrom for me is that I don't know what the point of that resistor is for.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Mobo header is 3.3v.... you should be able to plug a LED directly into it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Duckie, wasn't looking forward to searching in that mess. Yeah I'm thinking the seperate looms is a more fool proof option.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Would you post a diagram of what you want to do so we can make sure?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts