Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm planning on building a new PC this week, and I've pretty much decided on everything.

I'm going to be using the MSI 890FX motherboard with the AMD 1090T and 2x Radeon 5830's considering I already have one 5830.

I'm stuck on the Memory end of it..

I really don't need 8GB of RAM like my current DDR2 machine, because I never use that much, so I was planning on building this machine with 6GB, which is triple channel (Not supported by AMD if I'm correct).

I noticed on NewEgg when searching through RAM, that if I get 8GB of DDR3 1600 (4x2GB), It will run Quad Channel. I don't need 8GB, I only need 6. Is it really worth it to get 8GB Quad Channel? Does AMD Support this?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
No, it will be dual channel, multiples of 2=dual channel. multiples of 3=triple chanel. multiples of 4=quad channel (which is currently AMD Socket G34 server tech with a MINIMUM of 8 DIMM slots per processor)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts
Havent heard of quad channel yet...I'm pretty sure it would still be running in dual channel mode
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,930 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by 8ight
View Post

No, it will be dual channel, multiples of 2=dual channel. multiples of 3=triple chanel. multiples of 4=quad channel (which is currently AMD Socket G34 server tech with a MINIMUM of 8 DIMM slots per processor)

This is correct.

The current desktop platforms ONLY support dual channel or single channel (with the exception of the x58 platform that support tri channel). Quad channel kits are for server use only.

If you use a tri channel kit on your new machine, it could very easily default to single channel. So stick with either 2 or 4 sticks. Don't use 3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,847 Posts
u dont really need 6 gb , only 4 for dual channel
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by supra_rz
View Post

u dont really need 6 gb , only 4 for dual channel

If you read the OP he acknowledges this.. He's asking if he goes to 4 DIMMs, will it be quad channel. Which it will NOT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post
This is correct.

The current desktop platforms ONLY support dual channel or single channel (with the exception of the x58 platform that support tri channel). Quad channel kits are for server use only.

If you use a tri channel kit on your new machine, it could very easily default to single channel. So stick with either 2 or 4 sticks. Don't use 3.
Does this mean that I should get either 4GB or 8GB, instead of 6? Most 6GB kits are 3x2 and say Triple Channel for Intel builds..

I might not even need more than 4GB but it just worries me because I play a lot of newer games like Metro 2033, BattleField Bad Company 2, Just Cause 2, Call of Duty Series..
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,930 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Jync
View Post

Does this mean that I should get either 4GB or 8GB, instead of 6? Most 6GB kits are 3x2 and say Triple Channel for Intel builds..

I might not even need more than 4GB but it just worries me because I play a lot of newer games like Metro 2033, BattleField Bad Company 2, Just Cause 2, Call of Duty Series..

If all you plan to do is game on it, a good 4GB kit would be MORE than enough. Get 8GB only if you really want to go overkill, or think you'll use it. But that money on the extra 4GB could be spent somewhere else on the build, that would help out more (like an SSD, better video card, RAID0, speakers, etc..).

But JUST gaming, all you need currently is 4GB to be happy. No game is going to use more than 4GB currently.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by pioneerisloud
View Post

If all you plan to do is game on it, a good 4GB kit would be MORE than enough. Get 8GB only if you really want to go overkill, or think you'll use it. But that money on the extra 4GB could be spent somewhere else on the build, that would help out more (like an SSD, better video card, RAID0, speakers, etc..).

But JUST gaming, all you need currently is 4GB to be happy. No game is going to use more than 4GB currently.


Grab a 2x2gb kit of G.Skill ECO or Ripjaws memory
that will do all you ask!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You don't think any of the newer high end games will need more than 4GB?
I run dual monitors and have several applications open while I game, but nothing really computer consuming.. just instant messaging software and VoIP
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jync View Post
You don't think any of the newer high end games will need more than 4GB?
I run dual monitors and have several applications open while I game, but nothing really computer consuming.. just instant messaging software and VoIP
You will be FINE with 4gb, most games today hardly require 1gb of RAM, even absurd multitasking will eat up 3gb at most, I have 8gb for VMWare work, even still I rarely use more than 4gb of it, most I ever used was about 7gb.

EDIT: BUY THIS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-321-_-Product Wonderful stuff!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,930 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by 8ight
View Post

You will be FINE with 4gb, most games today hardly require 1gb of RAM, even absurd multitasking will eat up 3gb at most, I have 8gb for VMWare work, even still I rarely use more than 4gb of it, most I ever used was about 7gb.

EDIT: BUY THIS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-321-_-Product Wonderful stuff!

Yup, that RAM is amazing
.

Seriously, with your proposed uses, I think 4GB will be enough to last you for quite a while. I have 8GB, and I never use more than like 3GB of it. Only one time I saw about 5-6GB of use, but that was a memory hole in Crysis 64bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:


Originally Posted by pioneerisloud
View Post

Yup, that RAM is amazing
.

Seriously, with your proposed uses, I think 4GB will be enough to last you for quite a while. I have 8GB, and I never use more than like 3GB of it. Only one time I saw about 5-6GB of use, but that was a memory hole in Crysis 64bit.


You have been very helpful. Thank you.

Also thank you to the guy above that showed a good priced RAM kit with a low cas latency.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Jync
View Post

You have been very helpful. Thank you.

Also thank you to the guy above that showed a good priced RAM kit with a low cas latency.

And a nice low voltage leaves you without heat problems and a TON of overclocking potential!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Jync
View Post

Hello,

I'm planning on building a new PC this week, and I've pretty much decided on everything.

I'm going to be using the MSI 890FX motherboard with the AMD 1090T and 2x Radeon 5830's considering I already have one 5830.

I'm stuck on the Memory end of it..

I really don't need 8GB of RAM like my current DDR2 machine, because I never use that much, so I was planning on building this machine with 6GB, which is triple channel (Not supported by AMD if I'm correct).

I noticed on NewEgg when searching through RAM, that if I get 8GB of DDR3 1600 (4x2GB), It will run Quad Channel. I don't need 8GB, I only need 6. Is it really worth it to get 8GB Quad Channel? Does AMD Support this?

amd desktop setup dont support quad channel.
Only Amd g34 server socket support quad channel memory.
It will be dual channel memory,intel supports triple channel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just ordered everything so I can have it shipped in by the beginning of next week (Yes I'm cheap when it comes to shipping)

One more question.. Does the Intel i7 930 support Quad Channel with 8GB?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,930 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Jync
View Post

I just ordered everything so I can have it shipped in by the beginning of next week (Yes I'm cheap when it comes to shipping)

One more question.. Does the Intel i7 930 support Quad Channel with 8GB?

No, the i7 930 will only support triple channel. So 3GB, 6GB, or 12GB.

EDIT:
Or dual or single channel, but it will only support UP TO triple channel. Obviously the triple channel kits will perform better on it.

Don't let that be a deciding factor for you though. Get whatever fits your budget, be it an i7 or a Phenom II.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top