1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
3,269 Posts
I'm considering getting a Kentsfield with my R/RD600 Build. I'd have to change the name from Core 2 Duo / DirectX 10 to Core 2 QUAD / DirectX 10. I like the second one better, anyways.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The big question now.... Will 8800GTX SLI still be bottlenecked on it?

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

The big question now.... Will 8800GTX SLI still be bottlenecked on it?

More than likely. It wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Thats a good speed to compete with the new DDR ram coming out!

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MADMAX22
View Post

actually was that all four cores or was that with 2 or 3 od them disabled, i didnt see it anywhere in the article

still pretty good

How would you disable a single processor or individual cores on the Kentsfield?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's the current Conroe record? Kentsfields are just two of them next to each other.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Quote:

View Post

actually was that all four cores or was that with 2 or 3 od them disabled, i didnt see it anywhere in the article

still pretty good

SuperPI doesn't use multiple cores. A single processor with the same clock speed, FSB and cache as a dual or quad core processor will all get the same result (OK, maybe the dual/quad core will get a slightly better score because they have other cores to handle Windows and others threads).

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
yeah i know that im talking about the oc, you can disable the other cores somehow atleast thats my understanding, either thru bios i think please correct me if im wrong, i am jsut wondering because i would like to know if all four cores are being oced or jsut one since that may make a difference to people liek us that like a stable 24/7 oc most of the time

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

View Post

yeah i know that im talking about the oc, you can disable the other cores somehow atleast thats my understanding, either thru bios i think please correct me if im wrong, i am jsut wondering because i would like to know if all four cores are being oced or jsut one since that may make a difference to people liek us that like a stable 24/7 oc most of the time

All four cores are being OCed. There is no way to disable any of them currently.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
With the Conroe cores, because of their 4MB shared L2, disabling one core basically gives the other the ability to load the entire SuperPI app into cache, which is why these chips killed the records so badly when they came out. With Kentsfield, the 8MB L2 isn't shared. It's split in two. Disabling more then one CPU wouldn't do anything.

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Quote:

All four cores are being OCed. There is no way to disable any of them currently.

ok im looking into this as i remember that they were doing this jsut not sure how

Quote:

With the Conroe cores, because of their 4MB shared L2, disabling one core basically gives the other the ability to load the entire SuperPI app into cache, which is why these chips killed the records so badly when they came out. With Kentsfield, the 8MB L2 isn't shared. It's split in two. Disabling more then one CPU wouldn't do anything.

not to single you out selectodude but your all missing my point, i dont care about the pi score and thats not what i was asking/talking about, i was talking about its ability to oc and how this may change if all corew were active or if some were disabled not whether it would effect the score of a 1m run or something

1 - 20 of 30 Posts