Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about [finally] going quad-core on my sig rig... however, my motherboard is AM2, not AM2+, and I'd really prefer not to buy a whole new board.

Would the performance gain be worth it? I think I read a long time ago somewhere that AM2 boards cannot utilize the L3 cache of AM2+ processors... is that true?

I haven't really been keeping myself up-to-date on hardware in the past 18 months, so I really have no idea... but if there is one community I trust with hardware advice, it's this one.

I was thinking maybe this CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz

Oh, and I don't really game much, if ever, anymore... I'm more concerned about multitasking, and occasionally ripping my dvd's to mkv using handbrake.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SZayat
View Post

I'm afraid that your mobo doesn't support PII 940. However you could upgrade to 9850 2.5GHz Black Edition or X4 9750 with a simple BIOS update.

His motherboard does not officially support the CPU that is correct...albeit it can in fact run the 940BE just fine

After a few minutes of research in google i was presented with this thread and specifically the last post in it

http://forums.techarena.in/motherboa...am/1107185.htm

Edit: After a bit more research i stumbled upon this thread

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=286970

·
Premium Member
8,190 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SZayat View Post
thats good news. thanks rep+
MSI has to be notorious at this point for not updating there supported CPU's list

My K9N4 is the same...MSI's site will tell you the board can't take my 125W X2 albeit user testing on other forums and my own results say otherwise

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far, so good! But what about the performance increase?
I'm seeing here that I'll be missing out on the HT 3.0 speeds... so with that in consideration, will the performance increase be enough to justify Newegg's listed price of $155.99 for the Phenom II 940?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by drelyn86
View Post

So far, so good! But what about the performance increase?
I'm seeing here that I'll be missing out on the HT 3.0 speeds... so with that in consideration, will the performance increase be enough to justify Newegg's listed price of $155.99 for the Phenom II 940?

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/66...transport.html

I'm going to go with it being a rather moot point and not a deal breaker but i can't be 100% sure...still looking into it

As for the price on that 940BE why don't you find a used one?

You could easily save $40+ and if you spend your money right you could put yourself into a newer board that will support the full speed HT of the 940BE...thats if you care to upgrade and are on a budget

Heck a 945 is pretty close to the 940BE and you can pick one up here in the thread below for 110$ shipped

Edit: Quick quote from a thread i am scowering

Quote:

it actually doesn't make as big of difference as you think it would... the memory controller does not fall into this bottleneck, only I/0 does. And for most things HT2 is still fine. Considering this mainboard had advantages in SLI over others, i suspect that the performance difference will be even less.

Some benchmarks i have read show that it may be only upto 5% difference in most cases. So im thinking on just picking up a 720 for now, and then upgrading to ddr3 and newer sli board when the price befits it.

·
M2N Fan
2,861 Posts
You need to go no further than here http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherb...-sli-club.html.

Look at the spreadsheet to see what is known to work on your mb.

and read the paragraph above it to find how it is done.

The nvidia tools are only needed for the x4 955/965, all others will run with bios update.

Good luck

Gyro

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I wouldn't do it just for the HT 3.0. HT is a monster for system snappiness. Why do you want more cores unless your running a big database or having an apache thread fest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts