Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through for some cheap builds and saw a thread back in October for some Quad-core gaming rigs around $500US. Unfortunately, and maybe fortunately, some of those deals have passed and some new ones have begun.

Since I'm new to building, I was wondering if some of you guys could help me figure out a good, current quad-core budget rig build for around $500 (of course, with open taste on brands), excluding software and external hardware.

Thank you all for your help!

PS.: If it's possible, please exclude in-store deals, such as from MicroCenter, unless the chain has stores in central Florida, thanks.

edit PSS.: Also if possible, preferably use AM3 or 1366, for minimal future-proofing. Thank you.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
992 Posts
Ditch that PSU. It is WAY overkill for your purposes. Look for a 500-600W one instead.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't buy OCZ DDR3 if I were you.

·
Registered
992 Posts
91622024.png

Here is a possible build. After rebates it is ~550 shipped.

I wasn't sure what to pick for the case, so feel free to change that.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbao26975;11966504
91622024.png

Here is a possible build. After rebates it is ~550 shipped.

I wasn't sure what to pick for the case, so feel free to change that.
Thanks, that looks like a nice build. The Six Hundred is nice, it definitely has better airflow than the case I chose and it looks better too.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggles720;11966623
Thanks, that looks like a nice build. The Six Hundred is nice, it definitely has better airflow than the case I chose and it looks better too.
Glad to be of help. The CPU, mobo, GPU, Case and RAM should be better than what you originally had planned out. Only hassle is rebates which can be pesky sometimes but save you money in the end.

·
Registered
992 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
why hasnt anyone mentioned the athlon II's? They are great chips for those on a budget, which this is....

also you might want to look into the for sale threads, since SB was just released people are going to be selling their old components to join in the hype

·
Registered
992 Posts
No there are Athlon II Quads. If the OP is planning on OCing then I don't see a problem with OCing an Athlon II and getting a better graphics card.

By the way OP, what res will you be running at?

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbao26975;11966739
No there are Athlon II Quads. If the OP is planning on OCing then I don't see a problem with OCing an Athlon II and getting a better graphics card.

Especially the c3's, they can achieve 3.6Ghz from what I understand pretty easily. take that and pair it with a 5770 and your set for a while as far as a budget system is concerned

·
Registered
992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReciever;11966763
Especially the c3's, they can achieve 3.6Ghz from what I understand pretty easily. take that and pair it with a 5770 and your set for a while as far as a budget system is concerned
Going down to a athlon II can bump him to a gtx460.

·
Registered
544 Posts
i would buy this if i were putting a 500 bucks rig
PSU 1 89.99$ (-10$ MIR)
PSU 2 89.99$ (modular but 30 watts less and no MIR) both PSUs are enought for a future crossfire setup anyway
Video Card 129.99$ (-30$ MIR) will run preaty much everything you throw at it
CPU + Mobo combo 183.99$ (-15$ MIR) phenoms are only good if your on a 800+ budget , for a 500 dollar budget this chip is best bang4buck , mobo will support crossfire in future and not tear down ur wallet
Memory 1 49.99$ not the best but will do the job
Memory 2 59.99$ (-10$ MIR) same price if u get MIR and slightly better
Case 1 49.99$ (1 side , 1 rear fans) <-personal preference since the side fan will cool future CF setup
Case 2 49.99$ (1 rear )

total price : 503$ , total price after mail in rebate : 448$
thats as future proof and as price per perfomance (ppp) as you can get i think
recieve the MIRs and you can grab an HDD

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbao26975;11966739

I have no clue what res I'll use. I'm planning to use my HDTV, I think it runs 1080p, but not sure of the actual resolution.

And thanks to everyone for your help, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggles720;11966898
I have no clue what res I'll use. I'm planning to use my HDTV, I think it runs 1080p, but not sure of the actual resolution.

And thanks to everyone for your help, I appreciate it!
What kind of games are you planning to run?

If they are intensive at all, i'd suggest getting an athlon II and OCing it and getting a stronger graphics card to run 1080p.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts