Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Erm....didn't someone say these things run hot?

Mine seems to be doing pretty amazingly and doesn't get higher than 52c on Dual Orthos runs under load using 1.30v (1.28v vdroop) @ 3Ghz

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
uh... dual orthos on a quad core? that's why it's still cool
try quad orthos

·
Premium Member
11,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by ae804
View Post

uh... dual orthos on a quad core? that's why it's still cool
try quad orthos

Orthos supports 2 cores per instance of Orthos btw.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Yea.. i kinda figured that. There has to be another program... maybe quad folding? you can set up folding to fully load 4 cores.

[edit] You could also "revert" back to using Prime95.... let me find the guide to set up for multiple cores.

Here it is

·
Premium Member
11,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bitemarks and bloodstains
View Post

i guess that you got lucky with that chip either that or the 9700 is absolutely amazing

Well actually, i ran it again but small FFT's this time and it hit 62c

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mhill2029
View Post

Hence, they run hot!

Newer revision do run cooler though. I think Intel went from 130w TDP down to 110w.

·
Premium Member
11,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Hence, they run hot!

Newer revision do run cooler though. I think Intel went from 130w TDP down to 110w.

This is a L709B044 Pack Date: 05/22/07 pretty recent.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mhill2029 View Post

You weren't running the Orthos test right the first time, were you?

=P

62c isn't bad for 3.0ghz. You could probably re-seat and shave 1-2c, and when it cooks in you'll be at about 57c.

You're not far off from Lapped Ultra 120's, though! So don't take it too hard!

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mhill2029
View Post

MHill, 62C is not a bad temp for a Quad. The factory specs cover up to 62C (specs), and that is if measured at the center of the IHS, the cores can be even hotter than that. If they would ever figure out how to get a correct temp measuring tool, you may find you are still 5 to 10C under even factory max temps on the cores themselves.

Your temp is fine at 62, better than some quads get on stock cooling with stock clock. You are OCed, with extra voltage, and you are still within factory specs on air!
Nice OC

·
Banned
736 Posts
I was at work playing with a Quad 6600 all day (its been slow lately).

OCed it to 3Ghz without a problem. I tried running Orthos on 4 cores but no avail. Running 2 cores it was at about 40C. (Definately NOT stock cooling!)

The customer is a huge folding geek. Probably my favorite customer because he spends thousands with us. And that was the first quad I had in the shop.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by erb View Post
I was at work playing with a Quad 6600 all day (its been slow lately).

OCed it to 3Ghz without a problem. I tried running Orthos on 4 cores but no avail. Running 2 cores it was at about 40C. (Definately NOT stock cooling!)

The customer is a huge folding geek. Probably my favorite customer because he spends thousands with us. And that was the first quad I had in the shop.
If you really want to test out it's capabilities, check out the Prime 95 program i talked about. You can download it from the "Downloads" section and if you follow the instructions in the link from the quote below, you will be able to figure out just how much heat the processor is creating plus if it really is fully stable

Quote:

Originally Posted by ae804 View Post
Yea.. i kinda figured that. There has to be another program... maybe quad folding? you can set up folding to fully load 4 cores.

[edit] You could also "revert" back to using Prime95.... let me find the guide to set up for multiple cores.

Here it is

·
Banned
736 Posts
Ya I use Prime and Orthos all the time. I never really got into Prime. But now I'll take a better look at it.
Too bad the client picked up the computer yesterday.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I bet that if you try a small voltage increment for a 3.1 or 3.2 the temp will skyrocket.
Are you considering upgrading your cooling for higher clocks?

·
Premium Member
11,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by USlatin View Post
I bet that if you try a small voltage increment for a 3.1 or 3.2 the temp will skyrocket.
Are you considering upgrading your cooling for higher clocks?
No, i'm considering throwing the 680i in the trash and getting something else

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by erb View Post
Ya I use Prime and Orthos all the time. I never really got into Prime. But now I'll take a better look at it.
Too bad the client picked up the computer yesterday.
Orthos = single/dual instances of Prime95 with a GUI.

The calculations used to stress the CPU is exactly the same.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
there is a lot of people that are unsatisfied with the P5N32-E SLI's ability to OC Quads...

...it is a shame they are not strong Quad clockers... could this be a BIOS hence a fixable issue?

·
Premium Member
11,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by USlatin View Post
there is a lot of people that are unsatisfied with the P5N32-E SLI's ability to OC Quads...

...it is a shame they are not strong Quad clockers... could this be a BIOS hence a fixable issue?
I'm hoping so.....this is a 1333(QDR) CPU supported board and in all advertising it's considered the best Quad Core enthusiast board on the market. But sadly it's not living up to that advertising....Although for Core2 Duo chips it's fantastic!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
good to hear... I mean that you don't discount the possibility of it being a BIOS/fixable issue...

what are other boards getting with comparable air coolers and PSUs?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts