Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
3DFX User
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add another gtx295 to my system, I have an evga coop edition and have had a heck of a time finding another do they no longer produce this card or what? Do I dare buy one off ebay...someone here looking to dump one?

Also was looking at a 1000w corsair PSU to run it is that enough?

·
3DFX User
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why are these cards so hard to find? And do you guys feel thier will be any price drop when the 460 and 480 arrive?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah I have a BFG GTX 295 H2OC card that I also considered doing quad-sli, but I could never, ever find another.

Then I read something about how it's preferable not to sli multi-GPU cards. I can't recall why people say that, perhaps someone can shed some light on that, but it might be worth looking into, especially if you're gonna spend several hundred dollars

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zammo
View Post

Yeah I have a BFG GTX 295 H2OC card that I also considered doing quad-sli, but I could never, ever find another.

Then I read something about how it's preferable not to sli multi-GPU cards. I can't recall why people say that, perhaps someone can shed some light on that, but it might be worth looking into, especially if you're gonna spend several hundred dollars

My guess would be micro-stutter. Probably enough where it hinders decent performance for even basic things. But that's just my guess.

·
Registered
865 Posts

·
3DFX User
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well is thier any consensus is the 480 going to outrun the gtx 295?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I recently sold one of my GTX 295 card (I had 2 of them, both water cooled, but the dual PCB version). I sold it for $450, for just the card itself, with the stock HSF, which imo, is a pretty good turnaround,considering I bought it for $400.

Quad-sli won't improve your gaming performance as much as you'd think it would. In fact, I noticed quite a bit of stuttering in games, especially crysis. With a single card, I don't have as much of a stuttering issue, and my fps rate didn't drop too much..

I was using a Corsair HX1000w power supply, and I had an overclocked i7 920 @ 4.45 GHz, doing 1.42v, as well as two GTX295's (stock clocks) water cooled, with 13 fans on my PC. the HX1000w can handle quite a bit, and will exceed its specifications of 1000w draw, if need be. It's a very reliable power supply, and I'm glad I chose it over other alternatives (BFG 1200W, Ultra X3 1000w).

The transition period between the GT200 cards and the fermi release is when the GTX295 will hit the resale market (eBay, kijiji, craigslist, etc) but keep in mind production of GTX295's have been stopped, so this could warrant an increase in prices. Most retailers and e-tailers have already gotten rid of their GT200 stock to make room for the fermi stock, so it will be very difficult to find one of these cards in store.

eBay prices are ridiculous, if you're looking to buy a card. I sold mine for $450, and there are many others willing to sell it for higher. You have to look on private forums, such as OCN, HWC, XS, etc. to find a good deal (390$ or lower preferably).

I'm considering picking up a fermi card and water cooling it, with a GTX295 to spare for physx

or i'll just sell my GTX295 for a second fermi card.

·
3DFX User
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right on thanks, I guess if the fermi will outrun the 295 I may just go that way.

·
3DFX User
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anyone have any idea really how much powerful it will be than a 295?

And is my processor capable of supporting it?

+1 rep to both u guys thanks for help!

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by humbleguy View Post
So my 295 needs to be RMA. If production has ceased what will they send me as a replacement??? A GTX 480?
i don think so...i wish

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk777th View Post
Does anyone have any idea really how much powerful it will be than a 295?

And is my processor capable of supporting it?

+1 rep to both u guys thanks for help!
I just traded mine for a 5870. Haven't seen any FPS drops that have been noticeable.

That being said, you can find these on EVGA's website. I'd recommend going with them anyway. They have the full cover water block pre-assembled on the card for 700 and the card by itself for about 500 if I remember correctly.

Check out their website.

·
3DFX User
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Any ideas on how much faster the 480 will be then the 295?

·
Gaming Enthusiast
2,174 Posts
While there are no direct comparisons between the 480 and 295, its not hard to connect the dots. From what we know, the 470 is about on par with the 5870 and the 480 is 20-60% faster.

http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f...e-chart-66465/

Above link compares the 5870 to the 295. So, since the 295 is 10% faster than the 5870 according to that chart... id guess 30%~ to be a fair extrapolation.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts