Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In about a month I will be adding a new display to my current setup - the Asus VG248QE, as my main gaming display - and as it's my first time venturing into 144Hz and quad display territory I'm kinda worried about possible issues I might run into.

Now - this is the setup I will be running:

The Asus will be my main monitor, and I will be running it at 144Hz, however, as I often watch movies etc. I would like to duplicate this display (numbered 1) to the TV (through my receiver), if at all possible.

The left monitor will be secondary, mostly used when playing games like Hearthstone, watching shows etc., occasionally while coding, and the right (portrait) monitor will be used extensively for coding and viewing adequate content (reddit etc.)

Now, sound is another issue. I have my main speakers (2.1 - not pictured) hooked up to my PC soundcard, and I use them 80% of the time, when sitting in front of the PC.
Hooked up to my A/V Receiver is my 5.1 system, which is used the rest of the time, when watching movies, shows etc on the TV.

It's confusing to write let alone understand so I will give a typical use-case:

- Most of the day spent gaming/coding sitting in front of the PC. All three monitors on, TV and receiver off, sound is coming through 2.1 speakers, output from the motherboard.
- Watching shows/movies in the evening on the TV, all three monitors turned off, sound device switched to GPU (NVIDIA HDMI out), sound is coming through the 5.1 system the receiver is wired to.

Now, can all of this happen without any issues?

Currently I am running everything exactly the same without monitor number 3.

One of my DELLs is my main, and gets it input from my GPU, whos signal is mirrored (through an HDMI spitter) after it hits the receiver so that both the TV and monitor get 60hz).
The other dell is sitting to the left acting as a secondary.

What all of this acomplishes is that Windows only sees two devices (the secondary monitor and the receiver), and outputs everything accordingly.

When the new monitor comes I realise I will have to use DisplayPort instead of HDMI so the splitter will no longer be an option.

Any suggestions or ideas? Any issues I can uncover and solve now will save me 10x the time and money later.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleBound View Post

Best get one of them Universal Translators. Er... Remotes.
Um...what?
Why do I need one of those?
biggrin.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts