Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright , so for those who don't know much about high end speakers besides the very well know Z-5500s, I am making this thread to inspire you to become an audiophile like me and the rest of the Audio-Lucious community.

Over the next few weeks , i will be receiving different components in the hopes to get the best bang for my buck.

I would like to thanks soloz for helping me out and being patient

Components:

Monitors (Speakers) : Onix Reference 0.5s {info} {picture}

Amplifier : Sonic Impact T-amp Gen 2 {link}

Wires: 14-16 awg bare wire + mini-RCA (Soloz Reference IC)

Will keep this updated as long things keep comming in.

Thanks for looking!

Dissertation:

As soon as i turned up the volume on my receiver and felt the vibes travel through my body , i knew that something was different. The bass was also punchier and full , but i couldnt feel it as much on my feet (as i previously did).

Overall , mopads are great and i highly recommend them, i will also state that these are a requirement for glass desks, as having any speakers directly onto a glass desk reduces their sound quality.

Here you go guys - the final update.

There you go - my audio set-up.

Overall i paid $323+150(DAC), not bad eih?

I would like to thank soloz for helping me out - giving me free monoprice 14 awg wire...i really do apreciate it.

So if anyone wants to do what i did, order cables from soloz , and he might have some amps or speakers readily available...
, He's great to do business with.

When i first got the t-amp , i pulled it out and examined it , and was like... this thing feels like a piece of crap...But when i finished installing , i was completely blown away at what this little baby can do. I have to admit , the bass reproduction is not the same as the other receiver/amp i had , but the fidelity of the music is much better , and since i listen to mostly house/ambient music , its way more important.

The soloz cable i received is well constructed , and im quite sure its doing its job as i type (listening to music) - i received a RCA-mini converter - which is standard and cheaply built , but i don't think its made a real difference , since the sound quality is great.

Overall i am very pleased with what i have purchased / chose and i recommend anyone who is looking for a pleasant listening experience to follow in my steps and do the same.

If you have any questions , please pm me!

Thanks for looking!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Z5500's, high end??

Also thought that those class T amps were based on the principle of class D circuitry with the ability to go full range (at least a few years ago before they started on the whole full range class D not for subs anymore bandwagons) Why not try to find a good used/cheap class A tube amp?

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
digital amps have come a long way in the last few years. chip based amps sound very good and don't cost a lot of money. $ for $ they are much more powerful than tube amps.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRZYSTNG
View Post

Z5500's, high end??

I was just implying that most people, most of the time, relate "high end" audio components to speaker systems similar to that of the Z-5500s by Logitech. Not many people realize the potential behind analog speakers and how much better they can be.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2
View Post

digital amps have come a long way in the last few years. chip based amps sound very good and don't cost a lot of money. $ for $ they are much more powerful than tube amps.

Agreed that some of the digital amps I have dealt with and heard are of audiophile quality, but they still don't give the full warm and fuzzy feeling that a tube delivers. Then again I deal more with mobile audio than home/personal. Alpines PDX amps sound wonderful, but they still can't touch a Butler tube.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noname
View Post

I was just implying that most people, most of the time, relate "high end" audio components to speaker systems similar to that of the Z-5500s by Logitech. Not many people realize the potential behind analog speakers and how much better they can be.

Sorry, I was trying to be sarcastic about that lol. Kind of like everyone saying that Bose is as good as it gets
I will stop derailing your thread here and wish you the best with this project. It defiantly sounds like a fun one regardless of what you go with.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRZYSTNG View Post
Sorry, I was trying to be sarcastic about that lol. Kind of like everyone saying that Bose is as good as it gets
I will stop derailing your thread here and wish you the best with this project. It defiantly sounds like a fun one regardless of what you go with.

Thanks for the support!

Update: Been talking with my sources and i should have the reference 0.5s shipped on monday from Salt Lake city, so there is a good chance of receiving them around thursday or friday.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
i dont understand what your doing but if you want a audiophile system. get your digital signal and plug it in to a preamp then to a amp then to your speakers? i have a musicalfidelity cd-pre (preamp and cd player all in one) aragon 4004II amp and thiel 2.2 speakers with all audioquest cables.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts