Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my birthday is coming up and my father has told me that I can expect to be getting a nice stereo system. Right now I only have headphones, which makes me PC deficient as a HTPC. I want some good quality speakers that will play nice with my Azentech X-FI Prelude sound card. I like the idea of surround sound of course, but I don't want to sacrifice good quality. Something that can do base pretty well would be nice too because my headphones aren't very good for that.

Any suggestions would be nice
. I never really got into audio so I probably need a lot of help.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The lower end Yamaha, HK, Denon, and Onkyo 5.1 receivers go for around $150 USD.

Paired with some bookshelf speakers by Def. Tech., Mirage, Klipsh, or KEF. Or used Paradigm/B&W bookshelf speakers.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If you're ending up going for a 2.1 system, Razer Mako is the gold winner. Bit overpriced speaker, but beats the crap out of other 2.1 systems and even some surroung systems as well.. and the base if fenomenal imo.. and also they look awesome!

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: mothergoose729

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Audioengine A5s for the front & Audioengine A2's for the rear.

Or

Pick up some Mackie MR5's because I have them and they are great at least, imo. =)

·
Premium Member
6,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, ok. Lot of suggestions going out there. Should I get surround sound or 2.1 channel speakers on this budget?

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mothergoose729 View Post
Wow, ok. Lot of suggestions going out there. Should I get surround sound or 2.1 channel speakers on this budget?
2.0 IMO (no sub)

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tUDJ View Post
2.0 IMO (no sub)
could not agree more

• Rep+

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarble View Post
could not agree more:d
+2

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rduffy123 View Post
All mentions above the last 5 are bad.
odd wording

·
Premium Member
6,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I should get two quality speakers over six ok ones for surround sound? Ok. Now, which speakers should I get exactly, and where should I get them from (Links, links, links please
)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
http://www.audioengineusa.com/index.php?osCsid=

Read up some of the reviews of the A5 & A2.

Also you can buy the A5's for the front & A2 for the rear and only spend $411 shipped and if you don't like it you can return it after 30 days.

I might make a suggestion depending on your location check out a local music store (ie. Guitar Center) to test out some speakers.

Vid of the A2's

Of course listening to speakers over youtube sucks but you get the general idea.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Why not Logitech Z-5500's o.o?

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
  • Rep+

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,742 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristianEx
View Post

If you're ending up going for a 2.1 system, Razer Mako is the gold winner. Bit overpriced speaker, but beats the crap out of other 2.1 systems and even some surroung systems as well.. and the base if fenomenal imo.. and also they look awesome!

Razer has nothing on proper hi-fi bookshelf monitors.

• Rep+

·
Registered
654 Posts
What headphones do you have?

Well for that budget you could get the Z5500s and put the left over towards a headphone amp.

Or get a nicer low end receiver from Denon or Yamaha and build a system up over time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...1120&Tpk=z5500

Audio quality wise the Zs are not in the same league with a nice 2.0 system but they are a great bang for the buck.

And with the Razer, 400 bucks for a 2.1 system that you can never upgrade is just insane.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts