Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on an asus board and I'm using Everest to check on my cpu temperature. Is it really accurate or is it off by what ive heard like 5-8C?

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ultraman

I'm on an asus board and I'm using Everest to check on my cpu temperature. Is it really accurate or is it off by what ive heard like 5-8C?

Thanks in advance

Well its reading from your Motherboard CPU probe and is generally very accurate..If you wish to compare the temps of 2 Programs then also download speedfan.

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
ASUS PC Probe was tested and found to be about 5c off on average (5c low BTW). My board uses PC Probe 2 and I have not seen any tests. I do know that Speedfan agrees with PC Probe 2 almost all the time........ I don't think the P4P800S SE supports PC Probe 2.......in fact, I just looked on the site, and they don;t even show a PC Probe utility for that board...... weird........

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have tested Asus Probe against Speedfan and have received same temps. The program is made for their boards, so I doubt they would screw that up, but you never know. I tried googling for tests that you mentions, but came up empty handed.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I use probe 2 and not had any probs it usually differs from everest for me by about 3 degrees but I alway go with the asus one

·
Registered
269 Posts
Stick with the Asus Probe that's usually going to be the most accurate since it is specifically written for Asus boards. I've used Everest, Speedfan, Probe 2, and Probe 2 has been the most accurate for me after testing my temps with a fan controller with temp monitoring.

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Well, the most accurate way to verify your temps is with a hardwired probe inserted into the heatsink block bewteen the block and the CPU wired to a readout.

Not many people do that
but that is what they did in the test I saw testing PC Probe I and another manufacture's board and their software. I can't remember which one unfortunatly.

Check the CD that came with your motherboard and see if it includes PC Probe, or PC Probe 2. Again, the ASUS site does not list it as a valid utility for your boad. Not sure if you could download the version of another P5P800 based board and use that, but might be worth a try. Or contact ASUS directly and ask about it........

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
So what in your opinion is the best temperature reading program? I have Asus PC probe, and Everest Ultimate edition, and speedfan lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts