Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
That's the expected power usage at stock speeds. This is why there's several low-power CPUs rated for different speeds. The listed TDP is only for the CPU. I'm not sure why you needed to create a new thread for the same topic.

• Rep+
Reactions: tubers

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmyantidrug View Post

That's the expected power usage at stock speeds. This is why there's several low-power CPUs rated for different speeds. The listed TDP is only for the CPU. I'm not sure why you needed to create a new thread for the same topic.
Was it this thread?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1639731/does-the-core-i3-8100-come-with-a-cpu-cooler/10

I don't think I asked the same question though but maybe I did ask in another. Sorry about that.

Thanks for your answers there. Rep'd again.

When you say the listed power is only for the CPU, this includes the built in gpu inside the chip right (like the 7100T)?

·
Registered
854 Posts
The TDP rating is rated at base clocks (not turbo clocks which are opportunistic) and calculated by Intels in-house worse case scenario (only known to Intel). It doesn't include power viruses and is not the maximum power the CPU can use. And yes, it's for the whole CPU package.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucode View Post

The TDP rating is rated at base clocks (not turbo clocks which are opportunistic) and calculated by Intels in-house worse case scenario (only known to Intel). It doesn't include power viruses and is not the maximum power the CPU can use. And yes, it's for the whole CPU package.
Thanks.

So with the original settings, the entire CPU isn't even likely to reach 35W with normal use like light 3D gaming huh. Nice to know.

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
Your other thread wasn't explicitly about low-TDP CPUs, but it was definitely headed in this direction.

As has been stated, TDP is for stock clocks. Power consumption will change based on frequency and voltage. I don't think it's worth getting a low-TDP CPU. You might as well get a regular one and downclock and/or undervolt it.

I understand wanting to use as little power as possible, but I'm not sure this is the best way to go about it. The best way to save power is turning off your computer when not in use. As far as power consumption while in use, there's two schools of thought. You can have low-power components throughout at the expense of performance. This guarantees lower power consumption at all times. The other consideration is refusing to sacrifice performance so tasks get done as quickly as possible and the processor downclocks to save power when not in use. Either way, the greatest power savings will come when your system is off.

• Rep+

·
Registered
854 Posts
TDP is rated for base clock not turbo clocks but if power limits are set to nominal defaults then average power should not exceed 35W.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmyantidrug View Post

Your other thread wasn't explicitly about low-TDP CPUs, but it was definitely headed in this direction.

As has been stated, TDP is for stock clocks. Power consumption will change based on frequency and voltage. I don't think it's worth getting a low-TDP CPU. You might as well get a regular one and downclock and/or undervolt it.

I understand wanting to use as little power as possible, but I'm not sure this is the best way to go about it. The best way to save power is turning off your computer when not in use. As far as power consumption while in use, there's two schools of thought. You can have low-power components throughout at the expense of performance. This guarantees lower power consumption at all times. The other consideration is refusing to sacrifice performance so tasks get done as quickly as possible and the processor downclocks to save power when not in use. Either way, the greatest power savings will come when your system is off.
Thanks. The build is gonna be for a 24/7 run time except for a weekly restart/reset/rest for about half a day.

BTW, is HW monitor pretty accurate? When I run the programs I want it only hits 56W according to the HWM program even with all four course at about 3.4 Ghz.
Quote:

TDP is rated for base clock not turbo clocks but if power limits are set to nominal defaults then average power should not exceed 35W.
Where can these settings be changed?

Anyway, I also learned yesterday that Dual Channel is a must if I'm gonna be sticking with an iGPU for a while. Phew!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post

Where can these settings be changed?
If the CPU itself allows changes then the BIOS. If one or both of those options are missing / don't work, then it's a bit more involved.

·
Registered
198 Posts
TDP doesn't really tell you anything about power consumption, only waste heat. It's solely a measurement of "your cooler needs to be able to dissipate this wattage."

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcEsSalvation View Post

Software cannot accurately report the power CPUs use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantsaregood View Post

TDP doesn't really tell you anything about power consumption, only waste heat. It's solely a measurement of "your cooler needs to be able to dissipate this wattage."
Yikes. Can I have any rough estimates at least so that I don't have to buy any other expensive equipment for measurement?

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
Kill-A-Watt can measure your entire build. You just plug it into the wall, then the rig into it

• Rep+

·
Registered
212 Posts
  • Rep+

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
@TwoCables, can you chime in here? I think you were the one that I saw talking about a few different models of power meters in a thread somewhere. Unfortunately, I'm useless here. I just use my UPS.

• Rep+

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,532 Posts
I don't think a meter is necessary. Am I missing something?

I don't think it was me who was talking about different meters. I only know about the Kill A Watt.

• Rep+

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post

e.g.

i3 7100T rated at 35W

Does this mean the full load of the CPU and iGPU is at 35W max or does it mean the entire system barebones (no dGPU) would be about 35W during load?
Typically, the TDP of CPUs can be used to say "hey, this CPU might pull as much as 35W under full load" (since your CPU's TDP is 35W). The reason why is, 35W is the Thermal Design Power. So, it's safe to assume the CPU could pull as much as 35W - or rather, generate as much as 35W of heat.

• Rep+

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
tubers is extremely concerned with CPU power draw. I'm not sure why, but his own reason is good enough. Skylinestar also seems interested in measuring power draw of their system, so I figured I'd ask for some help.

• Rep+

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcEsSalvation View Post

tubers is extremely concerned with CPU power draw. I'm not sure why, but his own reason is good enough. Skylinestar also seems interested in measuring power draw of their system, so I figured I'd ask for some help.
I interpreted Skylinestar's post as trying to help tubers. Hmm. Well, I guess he'll have to explain it. :)

Anyway, considering tubers' original question, I don't see anything here other than him just wondering what TDP 35W means. I'm not going to recommend a wall meter unless he really really really wants to measure his power consumption at the wall. $20 for the Kill A Watt is good, but I'm not sure it's worth it just for this. Of course, once you have it, you have it.

• Rep+
1 - 20 of 28 Posts