Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to get a nwe computer soon and wanted to get a DFI LP MOBO. I have jheard there are alot of problems with these boards and that they are not veyr good for newcomers (which i am). SHould i get an ASUS?

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
dfi make very good motherboards, if you get confused and dont know what the settings are just leave them alone, its better to have the options than not. there is a few problems with them but generally they are better than not. Most motherboards have problems but you can work around them in most cases with a bios flash or just dealing with it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The DFI boards just require a little more time to understand and setup, if you plan on doing this as a hobby, I highly recommend the DFI. If you just want to do a mild oc and forget about, than any board will do. And like tuchan said, if you don't understand a setting just leave it on auto or something. Anyways, we're here to help

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
DFI's are made out to more scary than they really are. I to at first thought it was going to be more of a hassle than it was worth, but after getting used to it, it's the best mobo I've ever had

I have the LP SLI-DR UT and it's amazing. I'd stay away from the Expert, seems that they are having some BIOS issues at the moment

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker

D I'd stay away from the Expert, seems that they are having some BIOS issues at the moment

I think I missed that memo.

There are issues, but it is not that bad. There are workarounds to the 3v issue (do not remove battery for CMOS clear), and updating to bios 12/7 makes the platform stable.

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
I would get an Asus, basically it's one of those if you have to ask, it's too much situations. Although a DFI is not really that hard to understand and use, an Asus is just higher quality and undoubtedly the best mobo out there.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Be clear on one thing. If you intend to learn how to overclock your box and are willing to take the time to learn to achieve maximal performance/price then DFI is the way to go.

If you are a dilletante who wishes to play around with overclocking and do not wish to spend much time then ASUS is your way to go.

DFI motherboards have the ability to tweak your system to the ultimate and ASUS do not have the sections and specification altering settings in their bios. Since DFI have these settings, one can tweak/test to their hearts delight to achieve maximum performance. ASUS does not have these settings so one can not do that. You can more easily mess up your system with a DFI and creating an image of your system prior to learning to tweak these boards is not a luxury but a necessity. Stability is easier attained with overclocking on the ASUS boards but the DFI boards when tweaked well will bypass the ASUS boards on benchmarks.

This applies mostly to new DFI boards of the last 1 year or so.

R

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -relk-

I am planning to get a nwe computer soon and wanted to get a DFI LP MOBO. I have jheard there are alot of problems with these boards and that they are not veyr good for newcomers (which i am). SHould i get an ASUS?

You remind me of me. Reading all those newegg reviews that say "WARNING NOT FOR NEWBS" and hearing about all these problems. I actually asked them same question you did on this board about 4 months ago. And everyone told me what I'll tell you:

Getting this board is a great learning experience. There is nothing that experienced overclockers can do that you can't. It will just take you time to learn.

I just overclocked this weekend. I'm at 2.8 stable, a 1000mhz overclock. I doubt any other board could do that.

Also check out www.dfi-street.com. It's a 3rd party tech support forum, but it's owned by a DFI employee. Literally any question you could possibly have about setting up the board is covered there. There's also a great FAQ by ncsa on the board here.

I'll repeat. Don't hesitate to buy this board because you're a newbie. The worst that can happen is that you end up learning more.

·
phenomenal swag
3,673 Posts
If you get the DFI LP mobo, just make sure to update BIOS to either 623-2 or 623-3 depending on the type of RAM you have (-2 for BH and -3 for TCCD and everything else). Also, never leave any settings on AUTO on a DFI board.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remonster

I would get an Asus, basically it's one of those if you have to ask, it's too much situations. Although a DFI is not really that hard to understand and use, an Asus is just higher quality and undoubtedly the best mobo out there.

Asus is higher quality according to who I may ask? If you think its higher quality thats fine but stating like a given fact is way off.

And how is it undoubtedly the best mobo out there,,, This is purely a matter of opinion and very objective..,,

the best mobo for what? what is your goal? what does the user hope to achieve? are you a casual gamer or a serious overclocker? do you want more options or an easier setup?

to just say Asus is king is not fair not only to DFI but other companies as well,,, I think there is a reason that more serious overclockers go DFI and its not just FOM kind of $hit its because it has the quality and ability to do what overclockers want,,,,

.......................... the the original poster DFI makes really great boards and as others have said its a great way to learn more about overclocking. You start on more auto settings and over time you search the forums,, you ask questions and you see what the rest is all about,,, and the DFI expert is also working just fine as of late for most so dont be scared off,,,

·
Banned
658 Posts
ASUS is just a Tier1 board maker, not better, its a case of "fanboyism". I love my DFI and I have yet to have a bios problem, haven't flashed it yet though.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall82

ASUS is just a Tier1 board maker, not better, its a case of "fanboyism". I love my DFI and I have yet to have a bios problem, haven't flashed it yet though.

yeah I agree I dont know why people have to post in such absolutes, obviously the original poster wants peoples opinions but to say asus is the King and the best is a bit much even for a fanboy,,,

·
Registered
527 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall82

*Off Topic* but demonbane23, what are you using for x64 drivers for you X-Fi?

creative has some really great x64 drivers right on the web site for the fatal1ty... x64 really runs alot smoother then most people assume. Almost every company has complete subbort and there is game updates to run a bunch of games in 64 bit mode,,, i can email you the link the file if you need

·
Banned
658 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by demonbane23

creative has some really great x64 drivers right on the web site for the fatal1ty... x64 really runs alot smoother then most people assume. Almost every company has complete subbort and there is game updates to run a bunch of games in 64 bit mode,,, i can email you the link the file if you need

No thanks, I was dumb and searched basic x64 sites and never looked at creative

1 - 16 of 16 Posts