Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I have 2GB of GSkill DDR400 RAM. I am interested in buying another pair if there is actual performance gain.

My question is.

I understand that the 2x1GB Sticks running in dual boot means both ram sticks are getting data dumped into them.

If I had 4x1GB sticks does that mean the data that was supposed to be dumped on the 2 will be dumped on the 4 simultaneously sharing the workload?

or do the next pair of ram sticks stay idle and dont get accessed until the first pair fills up of data worth of 2GB?

Apologies if this is a noob question.

·
Registered
209 Posts
First of all, any amount of ram chips that is a multiple of two will be dual channel (if it is dual channel in the first place), if this means that all the sticks will be getting data, i do not know. I do know however, that you will see a performance increase with 2 more gigs of ram, although maybe not on XP Home 32bit. If you are planning on upgrading, keep in mind that 4gbs is unnecessary for a 32bit os as it is only capable of addressing around 3.3gbs of it. Somehow i doubt that all four sticks of ram would be used, though i am not positive on that. I do remember hearing somewhere that 2x2gb has better performance than a 4x1gb. However, i would reccomend just getting one more stick of ram for a 3gb system, as you dont appear to have dual channel ram anyway, so a non 2 multiple number of sticks shouldnt be a problem. Whatever, i hope that helps somehow.

·
Registered
910 Posts
"Dual channel RAM" is usually a misnomer: "DDR" stands for "dual data rate". "Dual channel" is actually a feature of the motherboard, and implies that the mobo memory controller has two separate channels for the RAM slots, and will pair each channel with it's own core of a dual-core CPU (or with 2 cores or a quad-core). The channels on a motherboard are usually schemed like this: for RAM slots 1, 2, 3, & 4, the scheme is A B A B (respectively), where A is first channel, and B is second.

The term "Dual channel RAM" is often used as a meaningless marketing ploy by RAM producers. I wouldn't even buy RAM that said that, as a slap in the face to whatever company put it on its own RAM packaging. Jerks... LoL.

I think that should help!
-Slink

·
Registered
824 Posts
Dual channel RAM is supposedly tested as a pair to see if it will run. Utter BS as just about any two sticks of the same rating will run dual channel regardless of manufacturer. Like slink said Just a marketing ploy.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by t_russell View Post
Dual channel RAM is supposedly tested as a pair to see if it will run. Utter BS as just about any two sticks of the same rating will run dual channel regardless of manufacturer. Like slink said Just a marketing ploy.
However, it should be stated that when filling more than 1 slot, it is widely considered to be best that you pair like sticks of RAM (not only from the same company and product line, but actually from the same "batch")!

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slink
View Post

"Dual channel RAM" is usually a misnomer: "DDR" stands for "dual data rate". "Dual channel" is actually a feature of the motherboard, and implies that the mobo memory controller has two separate channels for the RAM slots, and will pair each channel with it's own core of a dual-core CPU (or with 2 cores or a quad-core). The channels on a motherboard are usually schemed like this: for RAM slots 1, 2, 3, & 4, the scheme is A B A B (respectively), where A is first channel, and B is second.

The term "Dual channel RAM" is often used as a meaningless marketing ploy by RAM producers. I wouldn't even buy RAM that said that, as a slap in the face to whatever company put it on its own RAM packaging. Jerks... LoL.

I think that should help!
-Slink

No it has nothing to do with the cores of the CPU?

Dual channel means, 64bit bus X2=128bit. So the theoretical bandwidth is doubled. DDR2 800Mhz is 6400MB/s single and 12800MB/s dual.

The rest I agree with.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asus Mobile
View Post

No it has nothing to do with the cores of the CPU?

Dual channel means, 64bit bus X2=128bit. So the theoretical bandwidth is doubled. DDR2 800Mhz is 6400MB/s single and 12800MB/s dual.

The rest I agree with.

QFT. Funny you should mention that, as I JUST LEARNED IT earlier today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts