Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2x512mb pc3200 Kingston DDR, on a dual channel capable board. (It's set up properly, and as windows loads dos recognises that it is enabled)

Anyway, in dxdiag it says:

Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 186MB used, 2276MB available

Why is it saying I have 1024mb of ram, but then 2276mb available as a page file? Is that due to it being dual channel? Or is that something else?

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
The Page Pile is on your Hard Drive(s)! "Drives" if you have is spread over a RAID setup

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggy

I have 2x512mb pc3200 Kingston DDR, on a dual channel capable board. (It's set up properly, and as windows loads dos recognises that it is enabled)

Anyway, in dxdiag it says:

Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 186MB used, 2276MB available

Why is it saying I have 1024mb of ram, but then 2276mb available as a page file? Is that due to it being dual channel? Or is that something else?

Thanks for the info.

It's nothing to do with dual channel. It's just the size of the page file allocated on your HD.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gibant1

It's nothing to do with dual channel. It's just the size of the page file allocated on your HD.

Yup! Paging file = virtual memory, you can set it to whatever size you want. Ususally it's recommended for it to be twice the amount of ram you have installed.

When your system uses all the avaliable ram (1024mb in your case) and it needs more, then it starts using the paging file. Which is much slower than the actual ram.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I thought it was something like that. I meant to ask if it was that in the first post, but i guess I only thought about it and forgot to type it.

Thanks for filling in the doubts, though

·
Registered
25 Posts
XP does some weird things with the allocation of the pagefile. Before this tweak, with 1 GB of RAM total and ~700 MB of physical RAM free, the PF usage was like 300 MB or so. Didn't make any sense to me. Why go to the hard disk when I've got plenty of physical RAM available?

Here's the tweak I was talking about...

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1509.aspx

It works pretty well. My pagefile usage (with 1 GB of RAM) is always around 100 MB.

Bri

1 - 6 of 6 Posts