Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm trying to use my GPU (5850) to decode h264 .mkv 720p and 1080p files. I use MPC-HC, and when I run the program I use EVR Sync (Should I use custom pres?). When I play the file, at the bottom of MPC it says DXVA, and I see Haali Media Splitter and AC3 Filter running as well. I use AC3 filter for my sound over ffdshow.

When I go to filters in MPC while playing a video it shows: Direct Sound device, sync renderer, audio switcher, mpc video decoder, and ac3 filter.

GPU shows around 1-2% uses, somtimes hitting as high as 12% for a brief moment, generally every minute or so it will spike, but mostly is 1-3%

Internal Filter section of MPC-HC shows all filters are checked, for h264 audio[DXVA] but what is not checked is Matroska. It unchecks that when I install, it was my impression that you leave it unchecked to have the filter used that you installed over the default one that comes with MPC. I also thought maybe it needed to be unchecked for DXVA. I've read a few guides real quick and they suggest checking the Matroska box in Internal Filters.

My question is, is that because they don't use any other filters? I believe when I installed mine, it used either FFDshow or Divx's h264 filter. But when I installed MPC-HC, it gave an option at the end with two check boxes about enabling the internal MPC DXVA filter, which I did. So, which settings do I want for DXVA, and should I reinstall MPC-HC and not use the internal DXVA filter and use the ones that installed with my codecs? Do I check the internal filter box for Matroska or is that for when you do not have the filter already installed from another source?

I hope I listed everything needed, I feel generally secure in my understandings of decoders, filters, containers and all that, but it still seems confusing in that there appears to be many different combinations of decoders/filters and such to be used, its hard to believe I'm using the exact right combination that best suites image quality and efficiency.

Thanks for all the help, its very much appreciated!

·
Registered
622 Posts
ATI sucks at DXVA....for some odd reason their drivers doesnt release the full potential of the videocard for DXVA purposes....

NVIDIA on the other hand the card the get for DXVA because of their CUDA...with COREAVC codec...you will be all set.

My 9600 GSO kills my 4850 for DXVA purposes...

read this for more info....http://imouto.my/watching-h264-videos-using-dxva/

-------------

Also DIVX 8 Plus now supports DXVA if you are on Windows 7 with WMP12. This allows Subtitles and MKV+DXVA to work with WMP12 now which rocks...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
didn't understand the question

but in mcp, if you want to use another decoder you need to disable the box, but sometimes you have to go to external filters and add the codec you want to use and press prefer

but, matroska files sometimes don't use dxva, almost all mp4 files will use it, but not all

1 - 3 of 3 Posts