Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will there be times that the Integrated Graphics will handle pretty much everything and will turn off the Discrete Graphics card?

lets say first i game with the Discrete Graphics Card..

then i decide to just internet and do 2d stuff...

my discrete graphics card will turn of and the integrated graphics will kick in..

is there something like that? does it really work?

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubers
View Post

will there be times that the Integrated Graphics will handle pretty much everything and will turn off the Discrete Graphics card?

my discrete graphics card will turn of and the integrated graphics will kick in..

All the Alienware laptops have that now I believe, and some Sagers do too.

Edit: some examples, both Asus
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-n10j-p-2501.html
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-n10j-p-2509.html

·
Registered
910 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubers
View Post

Yeah, I think some laptops have them. The reason for this is because if the system is idle and the user isn't doing anything, it turns on the integrated to save power. Therefore having better battery life too.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Well I know on the 4890 the core clock on it goes from the stock(850>mhz) to 240mhz when doing 2D app stuff like surfing the web...

Certain motherboards coupled with cards will do a hybrid crossfire in which the Integrated will help the discrete card to get boost in performance and allow the integrated graphics to do the light work in 2D apps... you have to look up your motherboard and find if such a feature is avaliable on it..

• Rep+
Reactions: tubers

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh ok.. so i should be checking the 790GX Chipset feature then?

yeah i know that some cards downlock when doing 2D apps.. well at least i know the 4870 does.. thanks anyway..

any ideas if the

discrete GPU totally shuts down and the IGP takes over?

for desktops that is..

like the 780GX or the 790GX or nvidia counterparts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts