Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi iam new here and iam looking for a way to OC my 2180 dual core cpu.
my spec is 8600gts gpu, p5kpl-cm motherboard, 2x1g ddr2 800mhz ram.

i already OC my gigabyte 8600 and it was perfect! i now want to OC my CPU aswell but i dont have a clue...

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
welcome to the boards
. i suggest you take the time to thoroughly read through this guide, post if you have any questions, and only OC if you are willing to void your warranty and are prepared to handle it in the event that things go wrong - they might.

go to User CP in the top of the page, and then choose 'add system' so you can add in your PC specs - that way we can help you a LOT easier when you post

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read the guide but its too complicated for me to understand... iam looking for simple instructions.

can i OC only from bios?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Thats one of the best OCing chips out. and very forgiving if you screw up a bit.
The long and short is there is no fast easy way to learn this skill.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
yes. the vast majority of OCing should be done in the bios

unfortunately you have to read the guide - that is how overclocking works, and if you do not read the guide you run the risk of damaging (perhaps irreparably) your hardware... there are other guides out there but they will be telling you basically the same thing and probably won't be any easier to understand.

anyways, what do you not understand in the guide> i can try and walk you through to the best of my ability.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand i have to OC my CPU from BIOS right? i just tried to change the setting in the CPU tab and it wont let me. so what i do next?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Agreed. First you need to do massive amounts of research so that you are completely aware of what overclocking entails. Then once you have a good idea where to start and have a specific question we can help you move forward. Half the fun in OCing is figuring it out on your own. So have fun and we`ll be here to help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol "fun"... btw i see you have same cpu as i do.
its pretty impressive speed 3.1ghz.
can you tell me how you changed it in the bios? i see the twick options all in gray so i cant change them.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by subzeroil View Post
I understand i have to OC my CPU from BIOS right? i just tried to change the setting in the CPU tab and it wont let me. so what i do next?
which setting are you trying to change? which BIOS tab are you in?

in my BIOS i changed FSB speed, Vcore, and VRam

i will not say what values i gave them, though.

she FLIES at 3ghz
. btw, she is the one level below yours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
which setting are you trying to change? which BIOS tab are you in? i want to change only CPU speed and i was in the cpu twik tab but i cant change a thing its all in gray color.

in my BIOS i changed FSB speed, Vcore, and VRam

i will not say what values i gave them, though.

she FLIES at 3ghz
. btw, she is the one level below yours DAMN

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks
the e2xxx series cpus are all very good OCing chips. The general procedure for OCing is up your front side bus (fsb) by increments of 10 (200 being stock) and then stress test using Prime95. I only stress it for 20 min at a time. But to ensure 100 % stability you should stress it for at least 10 hrs. Then if it passes up the fsb agian and repeat. You shouldn`t need to worry about voltages til you get to around 2.7 ghz with that chip, but im not sure you can make it that high with stock cooling. Make sure temps do not go over 70ish during the stress test.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Had it at 3.2 but the voltage increase for that was a little to high for me. only need 1.408 for 3.1 ghz but needed 1.485 for 3.2
intel states the max safe voltage is1.5v but im not willing to go that high. after all this is a budget comp and i need it last at least til i get my tax return
lol

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
if it looks like the one at the top, then you are looking at a preview of the current settings.

to change the CPU speed you need to increase the FSB speed. it is the one that says 333 to the right of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha np m8

i think i finnaly got it... raised FSB by 20% and now my cpu is running on 2.22ghz.
i think about raising it by 40% with stock cooling what you say?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
if it looks like the one at the top, then you are looking at a preview of the current settings.

to change the CPU speed you need to increase the FSB speed. it is the one that says 333 to the right of it.

thanks! but my bios is other then yours from some reason but i somehow got it working, think iwill try to go 40% more FSB with stock cooling.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by D.J.S. View Post
Thats one of the best OCing chips out. and very forgiving....
i'll agree it's forgiving, but it's FAR from the best

On-Topic: set your FSB (front-side-bus) up about 50mhz or so.

The 2180 has a x10 multiplier, so 10x280= 2800mhz (2.8ghz)

Just make sure your ram is running at it's regular speed and there you go

EDIT: You should be able to go up to about 2.8ghz with only a small voltage increase on the CPU, and maybe 3.2 on about 1.4 volts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
guys got it working fine on 20% now my CPU runs on 2.4Ghz thanks for the help i will visit the forum again tommowo goodn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts