Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanx to the help of some guys on this forum I have been able to OC my opteron 165 up to 2.43 stable and I'm still playing. My question is, when I lower my cpu/memory ratio as to keep the mem speed around 200mhz, am I slowing the overall performance of my computer down. When I start up it says things like memory at DDR 200 or 333 but it's actual speed is up to 202.5 mhz at a certain point. In this scenario (DDR [email protected] mhz) am i getting better performance or worse?

·
Premium Member
6,588 Posts
When using a memory divider you are not slowing down the system as a whole, just limiting your memory. It allows the CPU to clock higher without affecting the ram.<br><br>
Since the memory is DDR one doubles the freq. to see at which rate they are running.<br><br>
For example: Memory clocked a bus speed of 215 would effectively be DDR430. Memory at a bus speed of 250 would be considered DDR500.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Is it stable at higher RAM frequencies? While the difference in performance might not be extremely obvious, you will get a better performance if your RAM speed is high also.<br />
<br />
Ignore the DDR### numbers, those are just divider values. 202.5*2 is your actual RAM speed, so in fact it is running faster than stock.<br />
<br />
Try testing to see if it will run on a 1:1 (DDR400) divider. If not, don't worry, it won't impact your performance greatly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I try to run the memory at 1:1 the speed is 270 and my OS wont even begin to startup. Do you know of any tricks to get my ram to run at 1:1?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts